1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Nero freezing just when burn shud start

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by slickoe, Apr 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. slickoe

slickoe Thread Starter

I was wanting to burn several LARGE avi's I have to vcd format so i could burn them with my external cdrw and mail them to my father to watch on his home dvd player. The Iomega software I had wouldn't make vcd's, so I d/l's the latest Nero 6.0 and then (because I didnt realize that nero automatically encodes to vcd, svcd and such) I d/l'd several avi to vcd type converters, installed them all, look at them, and uninstalled all but blazemediapro, converted from avi to vcd with it and had a good burn at 16X (on my 52X24X52) Iomega external burner. Everything went smooth, as far as the burn goes. (I can't view the movie yet tho.) The second time I attempted to use nero alone to encode AND burn I got freezes every time. Ctrl-alt-del would only unfreeze me half the time, giving me blue screens the rest of the time, and then other progs began freezing alot also, with the same results. Then other funny stuff started. I couldn't check my system resources in my computer without THAT locking up. That was just one example. So ran my Grisoft AV, adaware, my hijack log had no new/suspicious entries, I ran system lifeguard and cleaned up a few shortcuts and bad registry entries, ran delindex.bat and did a full defrag. After all that the whole movie encoded fine but stopped at "checking disks"- the disk was fine because right after I burned some music usiong the Iomega software. Because I have the older USB ports and Iomega burns at 4X should I set Nero to burn at 4X also? Could that be it? The first disk burned fine at 16X. Are Iomega and Nero conflicting with one another? Should I just uninstall and reinstall? And all the progs I am constantly installing and deleting, should I delete them from the control panel or the start menu uninstall icons for better results?? Sorry for being so long winded, and thank you in advance. And here is my hijack log if u need it.

Compaq deskpro win98SE Intel PII 400 MHZ 1.7Gig free on a 10 gig drive file to be burned was 600 megs

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
    Scan saved at 12:00:44 PM, on 4/28/04
    Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG6\AVGSERV9.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG6\AVGCC32.EXE
    C:\USBSTORAGE\USBDETECTOR.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\ZONE LABS\ZONEALARM\ZLCLIENT.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\USBMONIT.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\REAL\UPDATE_OB\REALSCHED.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADSGONE\ADSGONE.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\EFFICIENT NETWORKS\ENTERNET 300\APP\ENTERNET.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = 127.0.0.1
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page_bak = http://www.yahoo.com/
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {16664845-0E00-11D2-8059-000000000000} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\REGET SHARED\CATCHER.DLL
    O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG_CC] C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG6\avgcc32.exe /startup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [USBDetector] C:\USBStorage\USBDetector.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] C:\PROGRA~1\ZONELA~1\ZONEAL~1\zlclient.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Gene USB Monitor] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\USBMonit.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Avgserv9.exe] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVG6\Avgserv9.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [TrueVector] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE -service
    O4 - Startup: AdsGone 2003.lnk = C:\Program Files\AdsGone\adsgone.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: &Download with &DAP - C:\PROGRA~1\DAP\dapextie.htm
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Download &all with DAP - C:\PROGRA~1\DAP\dapextie2.htm
    O8 - Extra context menu item: + Offline &Explorer: Download the link - file://C:\PROGRAM FILES\OFFLINE EXPLORER ENTERPRISE\Add_UrlO.htm
    O8 - Extra context menu item: + Offline E&xplorer: Download the current page - file://C:\PROGRAM FILES\OFFLINE EXPLORER ENTERPRISE\Add_AllO.htm
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger (HKLM)
    O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab
    O16 - DPF: {90C9629E-CD32-11D3-BBFB-00105A1F0D68} (InstallShield International Setup Player) - http://www.installengine.com/engine/isetup.cab
    O16 - DPF: {30528230-99F7-4BB4-88D8-FA1D4F56A2AB} (YInstStarter Class) - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\common\yinsthelper.dll
    O16 - DPF: {02BF25D5-8C17-4B23-BC80-D3488ABDDC6B} (QuickTime Object) - http://www.apple.com/qtactivex/qtplugin.cab
    O16 - DPF: {231B1C6E-F934-42A2-92B6-C2FEFEC24276} (yucsetreg Class) - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\common\yucconfig.dll

2. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Nero has problems with certain movie files that have changing framerates or changing bitrates which may explain your freezes. Also when Nero re-encodes a file it can take to much system resources and freeze the machine. It's best to encode the files with TMPGenc, then burn with nero as VCD after the file is already in the correct format of mpeg1 for VCD or mpeg2 for SVCD...

For help see http://www.videohelp.com/

You should also check and make sure nero is compatable with the iomega, as I'm not sure that it is.

You can also update the firmware of the drive to reduce problems by downloading new firmware from www.cdfreaks.com. As with updating bios, updating firmware has certain risks, make sure you get the correct firmware for your model, make sure you don't power down while flashing, and be aware that you can be left with a dead drive if something goes wrong during flashing the firmware.

3. slickoe

slickoe Thread Starter

OK sounds good, I will try. Thank you.

4. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224641

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice