1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Nero Platinum 2019 Suite Licenses and Technical Support

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by bright0n, Sep 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bright0n

bright0n Thread Starter

I am considering buying Nero Platinum 2019 Suite. The software can be purchased on a disc or downloaded from the Nero website. I would be looking to purchase the unlimited lifetime licence which would entitle me to use the program forever (on 1 pc) without any further payment.

According to Nero, the program comes with 1 year of free bug fix updates and 2 years of free technical support.

My dilema is whether to wait until the end of this month and buy the new 2020 edition costing about £60, which I am not inclined to do, or whether to buy the 2019 edition now at a cost of £34.

Does anyone know (or what is the industry norm) for when the clock starts ticking re the 1 year of free updates and 2 years of support? Is it based on the date the product is released or when a customer buys the product. I'm assuming the former.

For example if the 2019 edition of the Nero Platinum Suite was released in September 2018, would this mean the 1 year of free updates starts from that point and ends in September 2019 at which point the 2020 edition would then be released for general sale.

So if a customer comes along (like me) and wants to buy the 2019 suite (on a disc) in September 2019, I won't be getting 1 year of updates from the point I have purchased the product. In fact, the period of free updates has come to an end. I could take advantage of any bug fixes that were released between Sept 2018 and Sept 2019 as these would be listed on Nero's web site. Likewise for the free technical support, if the clock starts ticking on this at the point the version edition is released, rather than when I buy the product, then effectively I will only have 1 year of free technical support left.

Am I right or have I got this completely wrong?

Many thanks.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

IMHO - it is very unlikely you will get an answer on this site from a NERO expert
    You may well get opinions, but I suggest you raise your queries with NERO, and ensure the answer is provided in some manner of communication that you can save - in case queries arise.
    [email protected]
    I appreciate the email is feedback but the site says it can be used for any queries
    http://www.nero.com/eng/support/index.php?&NeroSID=398697bf1b03095ba196e3b7ae0b2211#

I am not sure of the actual 12 months period etc.
    However the unlimited lifetime licence ONLY applies to the version you buy
    It does not offer free updates to NEWER versions
    Only updates to the purchased version, and those updates are only usually issued to cover bugs found etc. or security issues.

That said see this
    http://forum.nero.com/nero_eng/topics/lifetime-licences-product-updates-and-techincal-support
    according to that the dates are from the date of your purchase on Nero.com

3. bright0n

bright0n Thread Starter

Thanks Macboatmaster for your reply. The answer from Nero only related to making a purchase from Nero’s web site. It doesn’t answer the question of what happens when you purchase a Nero product on disc from a reseller (such as Amazon).

I will email Nero as you suggest. If I get an answer, I’ll post it here for the benefit of everyone.

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    For most companies, the updates and support start on the day of purchase and apply to the version which you purchase. In other words, the updates and support will be for the 2019 version. However, if you later decide to get a new version, they will very likely offer you a cheaper upgrade price.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1232452

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice