Nero Question - converting cassettes to CDs

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bsacco

Hello Tech Support Guy brethren...

I (like most other mortal males) have a substanial amount of cassettes and LPs that need converting to the audio CDs.

Of course, (like most other mortal males) I have conveniently avoided this dreaded task for years...now the time has come...

To tackle this problem, I already own Nero Burning ROM ver 5.5.10 but can't seem to find an option for in-line sampling (converting a live stream of audio to a .WAV file.

Can NERO do this? I downloaded the new User Guide for NERO 6.6 but still can't seem to find this feature.

IF anyone has a proven method for converting cassettes to CDs using specific software...please let me know.

It's a jungle out there!

-b

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I don't think that CDex is the ideal tool for this task, I think I'd much rather use something like Audacity.

The problem I had when I converted all of my LPs was that some of them were pretty scratched up, so I needed something to remove the clicks and pops. I had Audacity, but it's somewhat limited in the type of audio processing it can do, so I got Magix Audio Cleaning Lab which does a pretty good job for the price.

I downloaded the e-version for $30, but you can find older versions for about $10.
Magix also has settings for filtering out tape hiss and various others noise problems.

Here's a good link that compares many different audio recording programs.

http://www.hal-pc.org/~clement/Restoring Old Recordings.htm

bsacco

Just wondering if anyone has used Nero 6.6 as a one-software solution to this problem. My understanding is that with Nero 6.6 you can capture analog audio and convert it to WAV files then burn an audio CD.

Also, has anyone used SoundForge?

Nero can do what you want. Nero Soundtrax is the part of the programme that does the recording from line in. Nero Wave Editor has the cleaning/enhancing/splitting tools you'll need.
It's not the easiest of choices to get to grips with, but nevertheless it can do it all.
I have found myself using a group of programmes to do the job as they all have parts that are easier/better than others. Don't bother trying to record directly to separate tracks, record a side at a time and split later.
Musicmatch Jukebox can't be beaten for ease of use in getting the songs onto your computer, but this is the easiest bit of the process anyway. Nero's recording is fine too.
I found Audacity's noise reduction tools quite simple to get to grips with, especially the hissing on tapes, and even more especially if you have a nice long intro of hiss before the track starts proper. (start that record button before you press play ;)) This allows you to sample the tape hiss noise on it's own, which then helps it remove the noise from the rest of the track. Can't fault it.
Then for trimming/splitting I use another called MP3Trim after I encode the track/side to mp3.

I just found it faster using the easier bits of different programmes.
But that's just me :)

MysticEyes

Banned
stantley said:
The problem I had when I converted all of my LPs was that some of them were pretty scratched up, so I needed something to remove the clicks and pops...
The easiest way to deal with old scratched LP's is to lightly mist them with water from a spray bottle while you are playing/recording them. All the various software solutions will usually degrade the sound in one way or another.

A good place for lots of audio info is here:

http://www.audiotoolsdirect.com/index.shtml

Hey, I hadn't heard of that one before, thanks for the tip. I'll have to try it out next time.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You can also wash your LP's, I did that with a bunch of them, made a huge difference.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online