1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Nero read only burned files

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by swanganz, Jan 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swanganz

swanganz Thread Starter

I'm having a lot of trouble burning with Nero-I have a TDK veloCD burner.

When I burn data to a CDRW (such as a word document or a power point presentation), it's burned as a "READ-ONLY" file. I have made sure that the it's the "finalized " version, but I'm unable to go back and change the data without having to save it again to my C drive.

What am I doing wrong?
    Thanks.

2. slipe

slipe

You aren’t doing anything wrong. Mastering software will always make files read only. Most people use it for backup and don’t keep working files on CD. So it isn’t usually a problem.

There are several ways to get around it.

You can compile everything you are going to burn in a folder and zip the folder. When you unzip the folder back on your computer the files will not be read only.

You can use a freeware utility to batch convert an entire folder back to archive on your HD. ReadOnly: http://www.freewarepub.net/File_Utilities.htm

If you only grab an occasional file that you want to modify just right click the file, chose Properties and change the attribute to Archive.

If you are constantly working with files on the CD you could format the RW for packet writing where you use the burner as another drive in Windows Explorer. Packet writing does not change the file attribute to read only. Plan on eventually coming back to the board to ask how to recover the data you lost if you consistently use packet writing to RW.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65917

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice