1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Nero won't burn to DVD- says file is too large

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Wiskerluv, Jan 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wiskerluv

Wiskerluv Thread Starter

Hi-

I converted an avi movie file which was 6.8 GBs and want to burn to a DVD. I keep getting a popup that the file is too large to store as ISO and that I should use a different compiliation (UDF) whatever that is....however when I click on that UDF on their dropdown menu, nothing happens. I just wanted to be able to turn my avi. file into a video file which I did so I can play on DVD player. Thank you.

BTW, I used WinAvi to convert the file which worked fine.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, a 6.8gig file won't fit on a 4.7gig DVD, so they got that part correct. :) Normal video formats limit the size of the VOB files to 2gig, and a UDF (data) format will obviously only be able to store a file as large as the media.

3. Wiskerluv

Wiskerluv Thread Starter

Thanks for the fast reply, however I am a noobie at this and duh.....I didn't realize that the DVD was only 4.7 G's. Is there a way to compress that large file?

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    There is software available that may do what you want but I am not sure if it can be mentioned here. Some of the programs also allow ripping copy protected DVDs and discussing such programs is against TSG rules.

A double conversion (AVI -> 6.8 GB DVD -> 4.7 GB DVD) may give you very bad results.

According to this page, "When converting to DVD format, you can select video quality, video size, target format, audio bitrate, chapter length."

Your best bet might be do another AVI to DVD conversion in WinAVI with a lower video quality setting. I suspect your video quality is still going to need to take a major hit to get from 6.8 GB to under 4.7 GB.

5. emoxley

emoxley

You could burn it to a double layer dvd. They are 8.5 gb.

6. Wiskerluv

Wiskerluv Thread Starter

emoxley can you please tell me how I can burn to a double layer dvd? I am really new at this. Would appreciate it...thanks for replying.

7. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

You must have a burner which supports dual layer burning, then you need a dual layer disc.

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

And note that dual layer media is still pretty expensive... :)

9. emoxley

emoxley

Unless you have a burner that's pretty old, it should handle DL discs ok. But not all burning software handle it very well. IMGBurn will burn DL discs pretty well. Just make sure the setup is for DVD9 (instead of DVD5).

DL discs are still pretty expensive, although the price has come down considerably. Wal Mart sells a 3 pk. for $11.88. Best Buy puts them on sale sometimes for $20, for a 10 pk. Just make sure you buy Verbatim brand DL discs. Other brands tend to be too problematic.
    Good luck!

10. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    So I guess that these days any computer hardware over three years old is "Pretty old"

May 17, 2004: ... the very first DVD+R DL drive to hit the market
    http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1594142,00.asp

I guess that makes my five year old desktop PC at work with just a CD burner a dinosaur. :eek: :eek: :eek:

11. emoxley

emoxley

Yes..........by today's standards. Isn't the life of a computer considered to be 4 yrs., at the most? Now days, they're obsolete, by the time you get home with it, from the store.
    DL burners have been around for awhile, but at first, there were still a lot that didn't burn DL's. I'm not sure if they even build a burner that won't burn DL's now? Also, for a long time, +R DL, was the only ones they burned. Now you see that most burn -R DL's too, although I haven't seen any -R DL media, yet.

12. moundy

moundy

Maybe you can try to burn the large file on several discs. That maybe can save some time and money.If you use WinAVI for convert to DVD,you can select disc number and split into several DVD folders.Thant maybe more easier.
    Good luck(y)

13. Wiskerluv

Wiskerluv Thread Starter

Thanks all for your help!! I solved the problem with ConvertXtoDVD and it worked fine. I don't think the file was as large as I mentioned. I did compress it and it's all okay. I was even able to play it on our home DVD player.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538095

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice