1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

.NET 1.1 Framework SP1 Install error

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bcfantasy, Oct 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bcfantasy

bcfantasy Thread Starter

Windows Update says I need to install Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 . When I try to install it it says:

The following updates were not installed:
    Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1

So, I click on Start, Run, and type in installer. I find Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 RTL x86 enu, right-click and select uninstall. I get a pop-up saying " This action is only valid for products that are currently installed." So I right-click and select install. I agree to the licensing agreement and get the error:

Internal Error 2356. _2564_csc_exe_config_rtl_________.msm

Note: I'm in the process of re-installing windows. After downloading SP2 and then another 51 updates, I was downloading custom updates that included Windows Media Player 10, .NET Framework 1.1, an Nvidia codec, a GeForce 7600 GT driver, and a SATA Raid driver. During the install of these I got a blue screen (which displayed for about 2 seconds. I didn't get a chance to read it, let alone write anything down) and then a reboot. I went back to Windows Update and the above mentioned updates were all listed except the .NET 1.1 Framework.

Any help resolving this problem would be greatly appreciated. Even a nudge in the right direction.

2. bcfantasy

bcfantasy Thread Starter

After three hours of searching I have decided to try to re-reinstall windows. No idea of what the problem is/was.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    It sounds like you're going through a whole lot of work, just because Windows Updates tells you that you need NET Framework 1.1.

In the first place, NET Framework isn't a mandatory install. Very few programs and utilities require it.

In the second place, versions 2.0 and 3.5 are available and are needed more than 1.1.

You can download all 3 versions from:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_dotnet_framework/

--------------------------------------------------------------

To save yourself some time and avoid downloading and installing so many post-SP2 updates, install Windows XP SP2 first, reboot, then install the SP3 upgrade.

You can download the full 316 MB SP3 upgrade from:

http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/windows-xp-service-pack-3.html

and then burn it to a CD-R for future use.

(Note: Don't install the SP3 upgrade if your computer has an AMD processor, unless you first install AMD patch from Microsoft:

http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/windows-xp-sp3-amd-stop-0x0000007E.html

--------------------------------------------------------------

4. bcfantasy

bcfantasy Thread Starter

Thanks for the heads up flavallee.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I may have found the solution to your problem with NET Framework 1.1.

Go here so you can download and install Windows Installer 4.5

Scroll down the page and select the correct download link. For Windows XP SP2 and SP3, it'll be WindowsXP-KB942288-v3-x86.exe

After that's done, go here to get the NET Framework cleanup tool. It'll be KB928366-KB929729-KB928367-Cleanup-x86.exe

Restart your computer afterwards.

Go back to the Windows Updates site.

----------------------------------------------------------------

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757854

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice