Net cutting out

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Hydrah

So I have been having this problem for a little over half a year now. I got wireless broadband internet from a local company called cruzio about 4 years ago. Never had I had this problem until now. I will be playing video games which use a great deal of bandwidth, or even sometimes when im streaming movies. The internet will stop working, leading me to have to either repair the connection 10 times, or reset the router. This can be extremely frustrating as anytime I need to stream something I usually have to start it all over again. I used to have a netgear router, got frustrated and went with an AirPort Extreme, only to find I had the same problem. I have called my wireless broadband provider multiple times, they tried changing channels on the router to not interfere with my print server.
This only seems to happen when im streaming movies or playing video games, things that use a lot of bandwidth. Simple web surfing never seems to be a problem. I am completely stumped, I have read forum post upon forum post looking for an answer and have yet to find a solution. And it is not just my computer that has the problem. I have a macbook, and a desktop pc and they both will stop working when this crash occurs.
please help me!

TerryNet

Terry
Please explain your "wireless broadband internet." Mobile wireless? Direct line of sight Wi-Fi to an antenna on your roof? Etc.?

What is the brand and model of your modem, router and any other networking devices.?

Hydrah

It is direct line of sight to an antenna on my roof. And I don't have a modem, it plugs right from the wall into our router. Been that way since we got it. The old router was a linksys something (i forgot the model # as I have given it and it's box away), new router is an airport ExTreme. There is really no other networking equipment.
We have three wireless networks set up. A Base station network, a wireless network for our printers, and a guest access. I have looked into possible channel interference but read that the airport ExTreme will automatically adjust for that.

TerryNet

Terry
How about trying with a connection directly to "the wall" instead of going through the router. That will tell you whether it is the router or whether your issue is with your ISP.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
How about trying with a connection directly to "the wall" instead of going through the router. That will tell you whether it is the router or whether your issue is with your ISP.
Honestly, it sounds like a bandwidth issue from my experience. It may be that you are getting throttled/not getting full speeds.

Also try doing a speed test (www.speedtest.net) and see if you get the correct speeds. Also do a ping test to yahoo.com 100 times to see if you get packet loss. The command to do so in Command Prompt is:

PING YAHOO.COM -n 100

Hydrah

I plugged it directly into the wall. Had to adjust the lan configuration for the Static IP, no problems at all. No disconnects, works great.
On the router problem front, I plugged an ethernet cord into the back of the router, still had the same problem.

TerryNet

Terry
Make sure you have the latest firmware for the router. Then reset it to factory default settings and reconfigure it.

If that doesn't solve the issue try again with an ethernet connection to the router but with the router's wireless network disabled.

Hydrah

yeah the router is updated, i made sure of that. I cannot undo the settings at this time. Is it possible to point to which setting is the problem?
I did plug my computer in via ethernet, and turned off the wireless on my desktop. No problems. and then as soon as reenabled the wireless on my desktop, it crashed again and all computers connected to router wirelessly or via ethernet, lost connection. This leads me to believe something wrong with my wireless card on my computer. So I updated the drivers for it since it is an older computer. I think about 3 years now. It is a Netgear WPN311 Rangemax Wireless Internal Wireless Card. Updated drivers, still the same problem.

TerryNet

Terry
Wireless interference is another strong possibility. And 2.4 GHz devices, such as cordless phone or baby monitor?

Attach a screen shot of the Networks page of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online