1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Net Drop/No Reconnection W/O Reboot??

Discussion in 'Networking' started by AngelNProgress, Oct 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AngelNProgress

AngelNProgress Thread Starter

I'm having a problem with my home network. Its a wirelans lan from linksys. I'm using the Wireless B PCI card on a desktop computer. Windows XP Pro. 2002. Here's what's happening...

The network runs just fine. Its hooked to the network, as is my lap top. No problems. Connects to the internet. However... as you probably know, wireless tends to hiccup occasionally. Well none of my other computers notice it. They keep going. Well this one is the only computer I have for internet gaming. And every so often when the net hiccups, it loses internet connection.

And it doesn't reconnect automaticaly. Instead, it refuses to connect again. If I go to the little computer icon on my tray that represents the internet connection and click "repair" it locks up the pc. If I try to locate networks, it locks up the pc. Th only thing I can do to make it relocate the internet, is reboot the computer and let it look for it when it logs on. It finds it immediately and I'm back in business. But some days, like today, those little hiccups happen every 10 or 20 minutes and I can't stay on the internet.

Its driving me absolutely crazy. To have to reboot five or more times in a row. Its ridiculous. And I'm sure its something simple. The problem is that I don't know enough about networks to understand why it won't reconnect automatically.

Please! Please somebody help me and save my sanity. I'm so very stressed out at this point. I play net games to relax, not to make me even more stressed and want to throw my pc out the window.

what other information do you need?

computer:
    Windows XP Pro
    ver 2002
    service pack 2
    amd athlon 64 processor
    3000+
    2.00 ghz, 1.00 gb ram

Network:
    Linksys
    Wireless-B PCI Adapter card
    Manufacturer: cicso-linksys llc

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

First step would be to download the latest drivers for the card. Next stop would be an upgraded wireless NIC, an 802.11b card is pretty old.

3. AngelNProgress

I did the automatically locate and update drivers. nada. on the drivers. and I know the card is old :( I got it years ago. its still good, and unfortunately I'm too poor to replace it. Please tell me there is something else I can check that doesn't involve replacing the card. Its done this for along time, but I ignored it cause I didn't use the pc much. But not that I'm gaming for a little relaxation, its getting really annoying.

4. JohnWill

5. AngelNProgress

Is that for linksys? Or can you use any card for a linksys wireless hub? You think it will help? Yes, I could probably afford that. Last time I bought a wireless card was at least 2-5 years ago somewhere, I no longer remember. And they were horribly expensive.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You can still find a horribly expensive wireless adapter without much effort. :)

Brands work very well together except for the early pre-N efforts (that card is fine).

7. hermes

hermes

You can use any wireless adaptor but I would imagine the issue is with your PC rather than the router. When you lose wireless connection and it can not come back, it sounds like your com port does not disconnect or that some element of software or hardware may need a software upgrade, motherboard perhaps. Can you disable and re enable the wireless card to achieve the same result?

8. JohnWill

Well, since the adapter was ancient, and a "b" model, I figured a fresh set of drivers and a new card were probably a good idea. :)

9. AngelNProgress

I'm not much of a hardware person. I installed the card and everything, but I couldn't tell you what the area I installed it in was. So is a com port the thing I installed it in or something in the software? Is there anything I can test out to see if it fixes the problem? How do I disable / enable the wireless card? I've never tried that before.

All that I knew you could do was research for the network in network places and right click "repair". I'm probably blind and disable will be under a right click or something.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    In Network Connections if you right click your connection along with 'Repair' will be an option to 'disable' or 'enable' depending on the current state.

One thing that can give you the symptoms you have is to have two wireless utilities (clients) running, because they will conflict from time to time. One possibility is whatever utility came with your card and the other is Windows' Wireless Zero Configuration (WZC).

Whichever one you are using, make sure the other one is not running. For WZC: Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services - if you are not using WZC then Wireless Zero Configuration should be Stopped and its Startup Type should be 'disabled.'

11. AngelNProgress

Thank you so much. I will check to see if disable / enable works. And having two wireless or two internet things trying to run might be a possibility in this case. A long time ago it had a different internet on it. :\ I just assumed that it was taken off when I was given the pc. It very well might not have been. Would that cause this problem? I will check for wzc and get back to you on that. Thank you again! And yes, I probably could find a horribly expensive card. hehehe ;)

12. AngelNProgress

I can disable the network by right clicking and the icon disappears. I go into network places and find it (there are 3 different icons in there all connections) and click "enable" on the wireless one. It says "enabling... connection failed" every time.

So I went into control panel - admin tools - servies and checked the WZC which was listed as Started and Automatic. So I clicked Stop and Disabled. Now I'm rebooting. But it may take a little time, I think my pc is hung up from where I tried to mess with one of the other network connections. Oi. I'll let you know if this fixed the problem.

13. AngelNProgress

Now my pc does not connect to the network at all. It will not repair the wireless connection to let it connect to the internet. :( When I go to view wireless networks, there is none in the list.

So I went in and turned the WZC back on and I had internet again. I noticed while I was in there that it had listened if lose connection "take no action" so I put it to "automatically reconnect" and hopefully that will solve the problem. I don't know what's going on.

In network connections I have "netone" which I'm not using, "local area connection" which has a red x through it, and "wireless network connection" which is the one I'm using.

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Well, that experience indicates that you have been using WZC to manage your wireless connection. I guess we still don't know if there is another utility running.

At least "automatically reconnect" should help you.

Another possibility is wireless interference, such as from a 2.4Ghz cordless phone or another wireless network using the same (or close) channel that you do. You are probably using channel 1, 6 or 11, which are the non interfering channels in North America. You could login to your router and change the channel to another one of those three to see if the disconnects get more or less frequent.

15. AngelNProgress

Well the automatically reconnect didn't work :\ Go figure. I swear this is far more complicated than it rightly should be. Out of curiousity is there any other way to look at the network icons and see what exactly is running and what is not. I'm wondering if the old land connection or the old net thing (the 2 other icons for internet) are interfereing at all. Could they be? Or is that not even a possibility?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/633382

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice