.NET Framework and ATI Radeon Graphics

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

JohnO28356

I recently read that the Radeon cards require .NET to run at their best. The only thing I see on the ATI site is that .NET is required to download their large upgrade files for Catalyst, etc. The driver only upgrade files apparently don't need .NET. So, what's the answer? It seems to me that if .NET was required, ATI would put it on the installation CD, or at least mention it's needed.

I'm wondering if this is meant to apply to driver installs meant for "Media Center" PC's ?

I haven't looked into it, and my last Radeon 9700 install was for Catalyst 4.6 -- but had no problems with that and .net framework was not installed on the machine at that time (it is now).

You only need .net to run the new catalyst control center. If you use the old catalyst control panel insted of the control center you don't need it. Pay attention when you download drivers. You have the choice of center or panel. Take panel and forget .net.

ATI will probably start putting it on their CD's now, as it was released pretty recently. There are 2 different driver downloads now, one with the new control panel, and one without. Both of them will give the same performance, only the control panel is different. If you want the new one, then install .NET and get the one that says control center, otherwise, just get the one that says regular control panel.

JohnO28356

Thanks for the information. I'll forget .NET. I did install it, but uninstalled after a few days. To me it seems like just another big MS bloat at this time. Will probably have to have it in the not so distant future, though.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online