1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

.Net Framework, win98 and HP4255

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by k67456, Sep 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. k67456

k67456 Thread Starter

Hi.

A week ago i bought an HP 4255 all-in-one.

Since then i tried to install twice. The first time at some point during the installation something could not be read off the cd and things went backward uninstalling what was already placed on the hard drive. Then on reboot the computer just stopped at some point just before getting into windows with a blank screen with only a cursor blinking at the top left corner.

I managed to get back to windows by restoring the previous good registry backup.

The second time the installation went to around 58% and everything stopped.
    On reboot the same thing happened and again i restored the registry and deleted everything installed from the HP cd.

I saw somewhere that .NET framework was required so i went to the Windows update page and installed that (today). On reboot the same problem, so i went to safe mode removed .NET and then restored the previous good registry backup i had.

So, i figure that the problem i am having with the installation of my HP drivers and software as well as the problem occuring after rebooting has something to do with the installation of .NET framework.

Can someone please help me with this problem?

I am trying to install it on a P4 1.8Ghz pc, running win98se. 640Mb ram.

Thanks

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Have you followed the installation instructions exactly for your HP 4255? Did you determine if it was compatible with Windows 98SE?

You should not use more than 512 MB of RAM with Windows 98SE because that can cause problems. Read here.

Windows 98SE doesn't really need Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 SP1(the most current version).

3. k67456

k67456 Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice.
    Basically the problem must be a conflict with drivers of some other hardware, probably my Epson printer or Umax scanner drivers. I will try re-installing the HP drivers in the very near future when i format my win98 machine. A few days ago i decided to try and install the HP printer at my office on a winXP machine. Same problems until i uninstalled the drivers of my A3 size HP printer. When the HP 4255 was installed and then the A3 printer everything worked just fine.
    Both printers are now working on a USB connection and they even print at the same time with no problems.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274366

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice