1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Net gear causing serious system errors

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bobloblaw, Oct 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Thread Starter

Almost every day my computer shuts down and restarts. Windows pops up and says it has recovered from a serious system error - send error report. After I send the error report it tells me NetGear - fa312nd5.sys is causing the problem. It cannot contact the manufacturer and has no further information. I have tried to remove netgear but it does not come up in my programs add/remove list. I do not have wireless internet, nor have any need for it on my PC. I am confused why I have this program and why I cannot remove it. What do I do?????

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

That particular file is used by a wired Netgear NIC. What make/model Ethernet adapter do you have?

3. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Thread Starter

This may be a dumb question but...Is my modem the ethernet adapter??

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Actually it's a very difficult question to answer. Most people do not call an ethernet adapter a modem, but some do!

Look in Device Manager under Network Adapters. What is/are listed there? If one has "ethernet" in its name, that's the one JohnWill is asking about.

5. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Thread Starter

In device manager I found Netgear FA311 fast ethernet adapter and VIA RHINE II fast ethernet adapter - this one has an "x" in its icon. I hope that is what you need it is all I found. Thank you.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Those are both ethernet adapters; note that one is a Netgear, which agrees with JohnWill's "That particular file is used by a wired Netgear NIC."

I know nothing about that particular error, but suggest that you download the latest driver for that adapter from Netgear's web site; use Device Manager to uninstall the current driver, and then install the downloaded one.

If that doesn't clear up the problem, try emailing or calling Netgear for advice unless somebody else here has more to offer. I understand that JohnWill is going to be away for awhile.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756644

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice