Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Net gear router losses connection when multiple devices are connected

2K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  TerryNet 
#1 ·
This is my first post and glad to be here among experts. I will list my issue, please tell me what information you need to be of assistance.

I have a net gear WNR2000vs with the latest firmfware to date. I have two wired devices connected: 1. my pc 2. xbox, and also one wireless device connected 1. my cell phone via wi fi.

Before I updated the firmware:
I would hard wire my 360 and pc to the router together. My 360 online play would work fine for about 10 minutes then my connection on my 360 and pc would drop. My network status would say 'resolving issue'.

After updated the firmware:
I now have my 360 and pc hard wired to the router together. These two seems to work fine together. When I try to connect a wireless device my connection drops. My pc resolves the issue and regains connection, but if I try to navigate a webpage or download anything from the wireless device then it starts the whole dropping connection thing again.

I'm not sure what information you guys would like but here's some basics. Thanks!

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 4 Stepping 3
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 8190 Mb
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series, 1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 305142 MB, Free - 100720 MB;
Motherboard: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD, 790FX-GD70(MS-7577)
Antivirus: Kaspersky Internet Security, Updated and Enabled

See less See more
#3 ·
When I look at my list of attached devices from the router admin panel I see all devices with unique ip address so I don't think that's the problem.

Even when I don't have a wireless device attached, Like if I'm streaming or playing online from my xbox (hard wired) it will be fine for 10min then it will drop connection. When I check my pc it says "identifying..." and it keeps looking for a connection for about a minute then everything is normal. Another 10minutes...then same thing again. This is what's going on as of right now.

#6 ·
Reset the router to factory default settings and reconfigure. Disable the wireless (set the wireless mode to 'off' or 'none' or similar) to test whether it is a wireless only issue.

If the Dhcp server's lease time is 10 minutes increase it (not likely an issue, but leave no stone unturned).

#7 ·
I found out that my issue only occurs when I have wi fi on. I have two wired devices. PC and xbox. They both work fine together with wireless OFF. I've also noticed if I have wireless ON, and just have wireless devices connected an NO wired it also works fine. Both together will not work.

So how can I get my router to function properly with wi fi ON and and wired devices connected together?

Thanks!

#8 ·
After reading your first four sentences I was about to say to check for an interfering device such as a 2.4 GHz cordless phone or baby monitor.

But the business about the problem only happening with simultaneous wireless and ethernet connections stumps me. Assuming you did the other two things I suggested I'm thinking a defective router.

#10 ·
In case it is a configuration issue, reset the router to factory default settings. Make no LAN or wireless or Dhcp server configuration changes. Or, to put it in positive terms, only configure the WAN (if necessary for internet access) and change the login password. If it works fine this way then enable encryption and, if desired, change the SSID. Then keep making whatever configuration changes you want, but just one at a time and keep testing until you find the one that is causing a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.