1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

net graphics card and power supply

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by will182, Mar 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. will182

will182 Banned Thread Starter

before i had a geforce fx 5200 256mb pci and a jeantech quality 300w power supply and i kept having problems of my ocmputer shutting down on games and applications well now i have a connect 3d ati radeon 9600 256mb agp 8x and a jeantech quality 500w poer supply and my computer still shuts down on stuff well i only tried it once on 3dmark 2001 se and i have to say up to when it shut down there was great performance it blown my fx5200 right out of the sky, anyway it shut down on what i think was the 7th test (nature or somthing were there is a bridge goign over a river and a man fishing and then it was doing 47fps (19fps on the fx 5200) and then the comptuer just shut down now this radeon 9600 has a big heatsink on it covering the memory and its a very complex heatsink but has no fan on wich it doesent really need if it doe snot have one on now whats could be causing the shut down becouse i aint overclocked my card yet but i am going to overclock it when i get a fan for it.

2. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Have you made sure you don't have any hidden devices showing in device manager that may be giving a problem?

Load up device manager, click view/show hidden devices, and uninstall any greyed out devices or devices with exclaimation marks.

Just for the record, it may still be a problem with the power supply.. Jeantech is not considered high quality.. Only 18A on the 12V, and only 2.0A on the 5V.

3. will182

yes but i was wondering what could be the cause and so i stuck a thermostat to the heatsink and ran the benchmark this time it shut down later in the benchmark and the temp was 44 celsius so could that be the problem

4. will182

and there are no extra things in device manager, i looked at video thing in it and it only showed radeon 9600 and radeon 9600 secondary but there is nothing else out of the ordanery in there

5. will182

woo no way will it be the power sdupply this one has 2 fans in and its powerfull enougth, what do you mean only 18a on the 12 volt

6. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Heat may be an issue if the card's overheating, but if the cpu's overheating it would normally show itself in lockups instead of reboots.. It could be a memory problem, maybe you might want to run memtest86 to check out the memory.

7. will182

hmm ok i need a link to this memtest86 thing and no not the cpu thats not overheating i was talking baout the graphics card

8. will182

woo i downloaded it and read the instructions and dont get em can you help me install it

9. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Put a floppy in the drive, make a startup disk in the floppy format area. Extract the files from memtest86 to the floppy and boot up with it in the drive.

10. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Wait, that is wrong for memtest86. I'll be back.

11. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

http://www.memtest.org/

Download the windows floppy version. Extract it to a folder. Put a floppy in the drive and click the install.bat. When it asks for a directory type a and hit enter. It will say to install a disk, it is already in the drive so just hit enter again. Leave the floppy in the drive and reboot.

12. will182

and what could be well defenetly be the problem if it aint the memory

13. will182

oh is 8799 good for a radeon 9600 on 3dmark 2001 se

14. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Yes, that is decent.

15. will182

i ran the test and i found some setting but i dont know what they are, the settings were like this

RAM WAS SINGLE CHANNEL (64-BITS)
    ECC: DISABLED
    PAT: ENABLES

i also have ddr 400 ram (pc 3200 becouse it said on the packet it came in and on the site and here is what it shows on the test
    RAM: 166mhz (ddr332)
    and also i tried the test twice and both times the computer shut down i never seen when on the first test but the 2nd i think it was in between 64-65% so it seems to be the ram but could osomeone confirm that and the ram dont seem right form those settings, well i dont know what half of the setting are like i knwo the ram that i typed there is not what i am suposed to have nor what the ram is so there might be a bios problem here :( i need help!!!!!!!!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/348137

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice