1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Net Meeting problems

Discussion in 'Networking' started by otherguy, Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. otherguy

otherguy Thread Starter

I have been using netmeeting for a few years with only the normal reliability. Recently, the computer that I call to swtiched from a T1 line to a DSL. When this change took place, the other party hooked up a linksys router. I also use a linksys router.

I call from a from a windows xp pro platform and call a windows 2000 platform. Since the other party hooked up the router, we are unable to connect. After reading a microsoft support document, I did the following forwarding:

Pass through primary TCP connections on ports 522, 389, 1503, 1720 and 1731.
    Pass through secondary UDP connections on dynamically assigned ports (1024-65535).

I assume the other party needs to do this as well, or am i missing something?

2. otherguy

otherguy Thread Starter

we fixed the problem by forwarding the proper pots on the linksys router. The biggest hold up was find the the right ip address for the machines we wanted to have the ports open.

We found them using start>run>cmd>ipconfig

we then accessed the router usinf 192.168.1.1 address, hitting advanced> forwarding the forwarding the following :

tcp: 522,389,1720,1731
    udp: 1024-65565

One question, as that seems like a great deal of ports have been opened, does the fact that I have zone alarm running protect me from hackers?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276069

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice