1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Net Print on HP DeskJet 1220C--Insufficient Disk Space, Spooling Problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Skunkabilly, Jan 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Skunkabilly

Skunkabilly Thread Starter

I get this problem after printing a page or two over a shared 1220C. I have to always click 'skip' or something. Beaucoup space on the hard drive, but I still get this message.

Any help, greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. MacDknife

MacDknife

HI!
    Most printers use harddisk space to create the document that is going to be sent to it. Where this space is depends on if there is a network, what sort of network and so on. The space must therefore be accessable and WRITABLE. As you have C:WINNT as your spooler folder, I can only presume that you have either Windows NT or 2000 as your OS. A normal user without any administrator or privileged rights most likely has only read access to this folder. Either see that you have the appropriate rights to the folder, or change the spool to a folder where you do have writing rights. ALL OF THIS PRESUMES THAT YOU HAVE SUFFICIENT DISK SPACE!! You should have, at the very minimum, 500MB available.

I hope this helps a bit...
    : )
    MacDnife

3. Skunkabilly

So if I grant rights to the folder to everyone, I should be set?

How do I change the spool directory?

The HDD has oodles (18+ Gigs?) of space empty. Network drive is getting full though all other printers are AOK.

Thanks.

4. MacDknife

MacDknife

Hi!
    It would NOT be a good idea to give Everyone full rights to C:\Winnt. You never know what might happen. Check out this site instead:
    http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/193/
    It can help you to change the present spool directory, to the default one (%SystemRoot%\system32\spool\PRINTERS).
    Don't forget to READ THE DISCLAIMER (include me in it!).

Good luck!
    MacDknife

5. Skunkabilly

I gave everyone full access (does this include members on the network?) to the spool and temp directories under Winnt but left Winnt directory to default.

Appears to be working, but is this still safe? Thanks.

6. MacDknife

MacDknife

Hi!
    As you had the C:\WINNT as the spool directory and couldn't write to it (spooling didn't work), I can only presume that it is as safe as it was earlier, with the same rights. It only really becomes unsafe if users can delete or change neccessary system files, be this unwittingly or with malice...
    Glad to have been of help!

:)
    MacDknife

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114985

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice