1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Net printer prints only after reboot

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Firfile, Jan 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Firfile

Firfile Thread Starter

Desktop:- Win 7 Pro. --- Laptop: Win 7 Home Premium. ..........Both 64 bit.

The lexmark is attached to the desktop. Prints fine. The add printer wizard on the laptop finds and installs the printer with no trouble. But when I try to print something, the job doesn't print ---until I reboot the desktop.

I installed the driver and print device (hardware) on the laptop,--prints fine. (then unistalled, just in order to start the network wizard cleanly)

I tried a (Vista) fix I found here with no luck. I tried the trick of installing the lexmark as a local printer and adding the port by hand. No luck.

The only way i can get the job from the laptop to print is by rebooting the server (desktop). Then everything that was in the queue on the laptop prints. For the record, I can't find the print queue anywhere, on either machine until the reboot, so I can't purge it.

Both the laptop and the desktop have brand new clean installs - one less than one hour old. I was able to disable automatic updates after only one got through. (Phew)

I know other people will be having similar issues, and some might ask me to help. I don't know what to tell them!

2. Hughv

Hughv

My wireless HP 6000 does this occasionally, and I've found I need to "wake" it by touching the power button, which blinks when it's "sleeping".
    It's a minor inconvenience and I haven't found a way to change this behavior.

3. lunarlander

lunarlander

not related to your problem, but why did you disable windows update?

4. w7pro

w7pro

5. Firfile

Firfile Thread Starter

Thanks. I never got a chance to try that. I did once get it to print by stopping and starting the spooler service. Not exactly state-of-the-art, but I guess we have nothing to say about that.

I had recently been elated that I could finally network the 2 together-- only by reinstalling the OS on the laptop. (thus rolling it back to win 7 Home Premium). But I was foolish enough to install -just a few- MS security updates. The whole network crashed again, and I couldn't get it back.

So I'm reinstalling win 7 on the laptop again...And I will never do another MS update again. I fear that the jury is back on Win 7, and the verdict isn't good. Apparently it's designed for stand-alone systems only.

EDIT: Of course, it might just be a buggy printer driver....;)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974885

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice