1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Net Providers Must Help in Piracy Fight

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by vreyens, Jan 21, 2003.

Advertisement
  1. vreyens

vreyens Thread Starter

Any thoughts here:

By TED BRIDIS

WASHINGTON (AP) - Internet providers must agree to requests by the music industry to track down computer users who illegally download music, a federal judge ruled Tuesday in a case that could dramatically increase online pirates' risk of being caught.

The decision by U.S. District Judge John D. Bates upheld the recording industry's power under a 1998 law to compel Internet providers to identify customers that illegally trade music or movies online.

Bates acknowledged that the case was an important test of subpoena powers Congress granted to copyright holders under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

The judge said that controversial law, which was enacted to uphold copyrights online, permits music companies to force Internet providers to turn over the name of a suspected pirate upon subpoena from any U.S. District Court clerk's office, without a judge's order.

Cary Sherman, president of the Recording Industry Association of America, said, "The illegal distribution of music on the Internet is a serious issue for musicians, songwriters and other copyright owners, and the record companies have made great strides in addressing this problem by educating consumers and providing them with legitimate alternatives."

During a contentious hearing in October, the judge lamented ambiguities in the copyright act, saying that Congress "could have made this statute clearer." At the time, the music industry indicated that a ruling in its favor could result in reams of warnings to scare Internet pirates into taking their collections offline.

The case arose from efforts by the recording association to track down a customer of Verizon Communications Inc. who was freely sharing copies of more than 600 songs by well-known artists.

Sherman said that his organization, once it knows the identity of the Verizon customer, would "let them know that what they are doing is illegal."

Verizon had resisted the music industry's subpoena to identify its customer, saying it could turn Internet providers into a turnstile for piracy suits and put innocent customers at risk.

Through programs like Kazaa, Morpheus and Gnutella, a person can find virtually any song or movie - sometimes even before it's released in stores - and download it for free. On a typical afternoon, about 3 million people were connected on the Kazaa network and sharing more than 500 million files.

2. SexyTech

SexyTech

I think that the ISP's have the right idea!

Let the people be!

In other words....we'll see Al Gore CRY as we witness.....

The END of The Internet!

3. CyBerAliEn

CyBerAliEn

I don't want to start anything with this, but if the owner of any copyright (whether it be a movie, music, play, etc); if the owner has not given permission for it to be made available and downloaded as it would be, then it is the right 100% for that owner to sue that person to the fullest extent they wish or whatever criminal penalties that may apply.

This may be a priority to the record companies because and about money (this is a really lame excuse to use to try and make this "legally accepted"; it's like killing someone, being sought after for murder [broke the LAW], and then trying to justify yourself in that you did not like the person), but the underlining fact is that those who do it ARE breaking copyright laws. If it is such an issue, you might as well try to go after the copyright laws.

4. deh

deh

So uh how many illegal mp3's you got (megs, gigs or terras)? ;) j/k

5. CyBerAliEn

CyBerAliEn

Truthfully I can say I have only about 100mb of MP3's or such that I have actually downloaded, and of all those songs, I also happened to buy the CD because I wanted it. I have may 200mb of WMAs, which are from CDs that I have, simply because it was a pain to reload in a different CD every once in awhile and now I can just "shuffle" the music in one big list and hear all the songs on all my CDs. I must note however that that is not illegal (the WMA part). It IS illegal however when you go and set it up on some file sharing program like LimeWire, Napster, Kazza (sp?), etc; or when you put it on your website for download.

My "frustration" with a lot of this is that so many people claim it all has to do with money. Maybe it does (probably), but that doesn't matter, you broke the law and they have full rights to sue your *** down to "dirt poor" if they wish. What gets me even more so is that some complain about having to pay $10 to $20 for a CD. If you really want and like the music, you should be willing to spend $10 to $20 for it.

And out of my experience on the internet, I think a lot of it has to do with everyone wants EVERYTHING for FREE. Unfortunately the world doesn't work that way; we're capatalistic if you remember ;)

6. LANMaster

LANMaster Banned

I personally think whoever OFFERED the download for free should be the one tried in these such cases ... ie Napster, etc.
    The punishment for running this kind of distrinution site should be greater than it is ... much greater. That would discourage others to run such sites. I think their's a great issue of privacy that is being glossed over here. Many MP3's are LEGAL to download. So how am I supposed to know whether I'm downloading something that violates copywright law?

Leave the little guy alone. Focus on the shark not the minnow.

7. SexyTech

SexyTech

And just how many ILLEGAL copies of Windows do you have?

I rarely download mp3's...Movies YES! but anyway, the whole corporate GREED thing started with Micro$oft and will continue until someone can convince everyone in the world that the altruistic collective is the way to go! then everyone will have access to the work of everyone else with nothing to be offered in exchange! THAT is what the Democrats are trying to do to us!

Besides, when we rip our CD's, were simply making a backup copy of it! When we share that data with Kazaa etc. we're simply storing our backup copies at an "OFF-SITE" location!

8. CyBerAliEn

CyBerAliEn

I would have to agree; but I don't think blame should necessarily be focused on just one of the two.

I offer free web hosting at my website (www.ws.planetubh.com), and I have users all the time who put up WMAs and MP3s. It has become such a problem I have to BLOCK such files from the server and now resort to the policy of automatically terminating accounts which have any such file. These "providers" are so determined themselves to offer it though that they do all sorts of things like place them in ZIPs, delete the extension, etc.

Providers should be sought after slightly more of course, because obviously if it could not be provided, it would not be available for download. The problem is that these "providers" are so determined to do this illegal act for... ... ... what?

9. SexyTech

SexyTech

This thread should really get interesting this evening!

I can't wait to see what Mulder says about all of this!

10. CyBerAliEn

CyBerAliEn

I'm sure it will ;)

As to your question about Windows, NONE. It may cost a good deal of money, but I don't really "pirate" any sort of software or files (mp3s, wmas, Windows, MS Office, etc).

The only thing that I say I could "pirate" or atleast try to is games. You have no idea how hard it is to try and play a game over your home LAN and have to go from computer to computer to start the game because it needs the CD just to start.

But my point is this; if you want to provide the downloads or even download them, have fun! Just don't complain when your due in court later because your being sued ;)

I just think it goes down to this: a lot of people are cheap (not to say offendingly, but that they do not want to spend any much unless they absolutely have to). As I already said, I have a lot of experience with people wanting the BEST and EVERY THING, but not wanting to pay a fraction of a penny for any of it, because they somehow feel that it is owed to them (? ... not sure how they conclude that, but so many think it and act it, lol).

11. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

Napster, Kazaa, etc do not offer any downloads. They are programs that link you to other people that have downloads. They are of a very de-centralized nature, with no central server on most P2P networks.
    There are also legal files on these networks, and all of the programs say in the EULA you may not distribute copyrighted material.

12. SexyTech

SexyTech

Brendan..

I think you're on target with all of that! but there DOES need to be some aspect of Privacy (NOT Piracy!) when we use the Internet!

I'm still waiting for Mulder to join in on this thread!

13. Rockn

Rockn

I would like to see numbers from the record industry that will show the sales of CD's are down. The last time I had checked they were actually UP. In general I only use the service to see what a CD is like before I go out and spend 15 bucks on a CD that has only one good song on it. If there is only one good song on the entire CD, what is my incentive to go out and waste my money....there is none. If I like it I will go out and buy it because the majority of the stuff was ripped so pooly that it isn't worth burning to a CD. I figure this is truly a good way to weed out the one hit wonders and keep the good or great artists in business.

If I were an up and coming band I would relese everything I could via these services to promote myself....work of mouth or the digital mouth is very powerful and FREE.

The recording indutry isn't doing this for the artists, they are doing it for their own selfish reasons and the bottom line. If they wanted to stop it they could create a copy protection scheme (some already have) that will prevent you from burning it to CD, but won't prevent you from sharing it.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114541

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice