1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Net Zero - Is it any good?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by hotskates, Oct 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hotskates

hotskates Thread Starter

My dad wants to lower his monthly internet bill. Currently he's paying 30.00 a month with verizon dsl and Net Zero is 10 a month for dialup. He only uses the internet to check his email every 3-4 days so he doesn't need the dsl.
    I've read a lot of negative things about net zero and just wondered if anyone has any information he should know about before signing up. One of the things I read that seems to be a problem for a lot of people, is that after they try to end service with net zero they continue to take the monthly fee from your checking account (or creditcard) and its very difficult to stop.
    Or, is there any other good cheap dialup any more that I don't know about?

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

I used it some time back and didn't have any payment problems.
    It's dial up,so it's slow.
    Juno is another one owned by the same company now.
    You can download thier software,but I suggest you request
    the CD for reinstall in case of any problems in the future.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Before deciding on a provider make sure they have a local phone number.

I use Pittsburgh Connect for backup/emergency service. I see they have a $6.95/mo. plan that should be sufficient for the intended use. Looks like they don't still have the service that I have--$10 initial sign-up and no more charges unless I go over some number of hours per month.

4. avisitor

avisitor

Both NetZero and Juno provide 10 free hours of ad supported internet access/mo. That's something to consider, however, he may not like the slowness of dialup and regret switching.

5. hotskates

hotskates Thread Starter

I checked that and there's about 8 numbers they can choose from, all within their local area.

6. hotskates

hotskates Thread Starter

I'll have to do some quick math to see if he uses it more than 10 hrs. per month...I doubt it though. Maybe I should look into that one for him!
    I don't think he'll even notice the slowness of dialup. What he does (and all he does on the internet) is opens Hotmail and clicks his first message...reads it...then clicks "next"...reads it.....clicks next and etc.......
    He's done in about 10-15 minutes, then in about 3 days he does the same thing all over again. I know its going to be a pain for me when I'm visiting and want to use his internet, but I can live with it.

7. VistaRookie

VistaRookie

He will notice the difference. The NetZero home page takes considerable
    time to load. :D

I believe NetZero/Juno has a promotion going now. Sign up for 1 yr
    and pay only $6.95/mo for that 1st yr.

http://www.ispcompared.com/isp.htm

8. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

The NetZero 'free' service is a bit difficult to locate on the website. Just be sure you sign for the free service!

It wouldn't hurt to give it a try. Nothing would be lost.

My present ISP is "Toast," yes that is the name. Google for it. Costs only $9.95/month or $7.95 for a 12 month contract. I am close to 100% satisfied, with only minor, occasional problems. Also has an accelerator that helps with pictures and graphics. That requires setting up a proxy connection within Toast. However, this feature does not always auto activate- one of the minor problems.

[redoak}

9. hotskates

hotskates Thread Starter

What a clever name for an ISP..."toast" :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/761445