1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Netbios Broadcasts

Discussion in 'Networking' started by k_babb, Dec 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. k_babb

k_babb Thread Starter

Hi i am after some advice

i need to be able to find out what application/service is sending out net bios broadcasts on a network segment the requests are for machines that no longer are on the network but something is trying to obtain there ip address as they are not in dns any more i am assuming this is why they are resorting to netbios broadcasts i need to some how isolate what application or service is trying to find out. but have no idea how to go about it any help or advice would be great

thanks in advance

2. Rockn

Rockn

Do you know what the devices were that are no longer a part of the network?

3. k_babb

k_babb Thread Starter

they are workstations that are trying to be contacted

4. Rockn

Rockn

HAve the workstations been deleted from AD users and computers as well as DNS? You might want to purge the DNS cache on the workstations as well.

5. k_babb

k_babb Thread Starter

Not sure we use E directory but i am sure the objects have been deleted

6. Rockn

Rockn

Don't be so sure, people are by nature lazy. You are not sure if you run Active Directory?

7. k_babb

k_babb Thread Starter

well we have ad and e directory but mainly use e directory

8. k_babb

k_babb Thread Starter

after doing some more research i have found that the packets have the 20 identifier after the host name am i right in assuming this is file server service and if so why are other workstations looking for this workstation and more to the point how can i stop them broadcasting to look for this workstation. Also i was thinking maybe there was a shared printer on this worksation but as it is gone now i have no way of knowing

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!