1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Netbook dead - no lights, no boot, odd power noises

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RedSparrows, Nov 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RedSparrows

RedSparrows Thread Starter

Hello all,

I recently had a networking issue solved by this fine forum, and my computer woes have not abandoned me.

My netbook (ASUS EPC1001ish, XP SP2), last night, turned itself off suddenly, with a relatively loud 'crack' type noise - bit like a spark.

It now will not turn on, at all. No lights, even when off and charging. No boot at all.

I have unplugged the battery and held down the power button to try and rid it of static. No luck.

The only clue I have is that when I have the AC plugged in, the light on the AC adapter flashes on and off very fast, and from the area the power port on the netbook itself comes an odd rapid clicking noise.

I suspect it's a short circuit somewhere in the system, but I am not sure. Anyone had any experience of a similar problem who can offer their expertise? The netbook fan seemed to be working fine, and whilst it got warm, I never let it get hot, and indeed, have had 0 issues with overheating.

Many thanks.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

My guess and it is only a guess is that the pw supply on the mb failed. With the price of netbooks so cheap, even if it were repairable, it makes no sense to spend the money to fix it when a replacement would cost less than the cost of repair.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025098

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice