1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

netbook power trouble

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jonny330, Jul 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jonny330

Jonny330 Thread Starter

Just got a 7 inch netbook as a freebie with something else from ebay. I think the battery is dead. It won't turn on at all when its on battery and it doesn't charge. Whenever I try turning it on when its plugged in it powers up and tells me "Your main batteries are running very low on power. Please change the batteries at your next opportunity" and then turns off after 60 seconds. As far as I can tell these netbooks are pretty generic, there's no indication of make or model etc. It runs on Windows CE 6.00. Is there any way of getting it to run just on ac power?
    P.S. I've tried removing the battery to no avail.

2. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

Now you know why you got it as an eBay "freebie".

It might make a good doorstop.

----------------------------------------------------------

3. Jonny330

Jonny330 Thread Starter

lol fair enough. Oh well, thought it might be worth a punt trying to revive it.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

Sounds more like its not getting AC power to recharge the battery. You should be able to run a netbook without a battery in most cases so maybe the power adapter isn't putting out enough power(ie. faulty). However if its running Windows CE its gonna be more useless than a normal network, those models usually have ridiculously horrible specs and not really useful for anything when they do work, which in most cases isn't very often. Don't spend any money on it, if you can try another power adapter that has the correct voltage, plug polarity, and an amperage thats equal or greater then what is required then go for it. Also check and compare the voltage of the power adapter to the bottom of the unit to see if it even matches, the included adapter may not be the right one.

5. Jonny330

Jonny330 Thread Starter

Thanks. Unfortunately I don't really have any other chargers that I could use, I managed to find a wire (designed for use with the psp) that I could use to power the netbook using my actual laptop (which is itself plugged in). That resulted in the same thing.

6. james1052

james1052

Return it to them as DOA. You could also try buying a generic adjustable power adaptor from Radio Shack and see what it does. WinCE does sound like complete fail, though. :(

7. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

It's honestly not worth the cost of a new power adapter though.

8. Jonny330

Jonny330 Thread Starter

yeah, can't say I plan on spending any money on it, I do have an adjustable power adapter which can be set to 7.5V, but there's no end on it that'll fit the netbook

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!