1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

netbui download address?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by melonhead, Apr 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. melonhead

melonhead Thread Starter

Can anyone give me the link to the netbui download address?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Hey ... who is that guy that keeps that NetBEUI file up there ;-)
    Even MS wanted me to take if off a while ago.

Also just so you know, it is not really needed for general network configurations. TCP/IP works fine if that's really all you need.

4. melonhead

melonhead Thread Starter

Thanks, Johnwill! You are a lifesaver! It worked.

Bob, thanks for the information. However, it is really interesting when I am different clients. Usually the TCP/IP works fine. However sometimes I run into a network that they cannot see other computer's files even though they can get on the internet or they cannot see other computers printers even though they can get on the net. I usually check all the network configurations, etc. and if I still can't get it to work, I download John's netbui and it works in about 30 seconds. I can't understand why Microsoft does not support this in XP. However, a lot of people must have contacted them because they do have instructions now. Unfortunately you have to have the Microsoft XP disk and my client's XP came preloaded on the computer and she only has a restore disk. Any way, thanks so much for the help.

Johnwill, you are awesome.

5. melonhead

melonhead Thread Starter

Johnwill - Can you please tell me how to report that thread is solved. Can't find it on new forms. Thanks

6. JohnWill

If you're allowed to edit the header, you can just add (solved), otherwise you'll have to wait for a mod to fix it. :)

7. melonhead

melonhead Thread Starter

Thanks. In the past I sent in a report to notify a moderator, but couldn't find that.

Thanks again for all your help.

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

I've never figured the need for NetBEUI out either. Support a little over 2000 workstations in the area and each location only needs TCP/IP.

Typically either TCP/IP is misconfigured or some other app is installed getting in the way. One common problem is incorrectly configured firewall sofware. Was at a site yesterday that swore their previous guy said they had to have NetBEUI to network. Sure enough, as soon as it was removed, the network stopped working. Until I noticed that ZoneAlarm was misconfigured on every workstation and the server and didn't allow the local IP range in its trusted zone.

Also, if you look at my signature, the link for NetBEUI actually came from my site and I've had that particular file up there for almost 2 1/2 years. MS wanted me to remove it but I kinda ignored them and they went away.

9. JohnWill

Well Bob, it's very nice of you to supply the link. :D

10. melonhead

melonhead Thread Starter

Yeah, when I went back to the link I realized it was Bob that had created that whole page. Thanks, Bob!! That is a fantastic website. I refer to it often.

11. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Glad you like it. I refer to it a lot also. I can't remember all that stuff. My brain stopped working years ago ;-)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/219734

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice