1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

netbui not showing in Device Manager

Discussion in 'Networking' started by melonhead, Sep 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. melonhead

melonhead Thread Starter

Hi, I have a client who wants me to network her computers. One computer is 98 the other computer XP. The XP computer's Windows file is titled WINNT which I assume has some of the Windows Networking OS properties (YIKES!)

Anyway, I added netbui files and then went to device manager to add them. When I tried to add the protocol, netbui was not one of the options. I know that you don't have to have them with XP but I have found when networking XP with 98 it is much easier.

I did double check to make sure that I had put them in the proper folders. Any suggestions?

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Why would you go into Device Manager to add them to the Network card properties. You need to go into Network settings to do that.

3. melonhead

melonhead Thread Starter

Oops! I typed in device manager but meant network connections properties! I looked in protocols in the properties of network connections. Sorry about that.

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

After double clicking on Protocol in your lan properties, click on Have Disk. Put your XP disk in the cd drive and navigate to where netbeui is located on it.

5. melonhead

melonhead Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll try that.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

NETBEUI is not a standard protocol for XP, but it is available in the VALUEADD folder on the CD. There are also copies of the two files available for download, though my previous link to a downloadable copy is bad. You need to copy the two files to the correct directories, then NETBEUI will show up just like the other protocols.

I ZIPped up the two files and the instructions and attached them to this message. :)

Attached Files:

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273413

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice