1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

NETDIAG.EXE - Entry Point Not Found

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Spankinator, Aug 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Spankinator

Spankinator Thread Starter

I've been trying to figure out what has been causing a workstation here to deny logons to the network. You will be able to login once with your username, and then as soon as you logoff, you get the message "Windows cannot connect to the domain, either because the domain controller is down or otherwise unavailable, or because your computer account was not found."

Anyways, so far I have checked the Active Directory and the account is setup properly (computer also in directory). I have tried removing the workstation from the domain and re-adding it. This did not work. It allowed for 1 logon, and then the same thing happened after that....no more logons after that 1 logon.

I am at the point now where I am trying to run netdiag.exe to see if there are any problems there, and there are. I get the message NETDIAG.EXE - Entry Point Not Found "The procedure entry point DnsGetPrimaryDomainName_UTF8 could not be located in the dynamic link library DNSAPI.dll."

My question is is there anyway to fix this so this DLL works. This could be causing some of the issues previously stated.

The OS for the workstation is Windows XP SP2, and the domain controller is Windows 2000 Server. I appreciate any help! Thanks!

2. Spankinator

Spankinator Thread Starter

*EDIT*

I suppose I will just reformat. Even though that always works, it's not what I was looking for. :mad:

3. JohnDunk

JohnDunk

I have had this problem today and after a bit of digging around at MS I found a netdiag guide which says this problem occurs when using netdiag from Windows 2000 on a machine with XP - to solve it find the XP system disk and run the installer- \support\tools\suptools.msi , select remove all if prompted (if an existing version is found) and then run again to install the correct version.
    You then get a guide in Programs\Windows Support Tools AND netdiag should now run from a command prompt and give you a few screens of info.
    Cheers
    John D

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/388593