1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

NetDisk external hard drive not recognized by Vista

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by veronius, Jan 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. veronius

veronius Thread Starter

I just bought a Ximeta RJ/45 NetDisk external hard drive and Windows Vista won't recognize it. The readme in the NDAS software that came with it said if I wanted to connect via USB, which was what I tried, I didn't need to install any software as Windows Vista would automatically go out and find the right driver once I installed the drive and powered it up. Vista didn't do anything, however. The drive does not show up on my computer though it's properly connected and turned on. I tried installing twice, once with the PC on and then, when I was told that wasn't the right way, with the PC off. Same result both times. The Ximeta site is unhelpful to say the least.

I have now installed the NDAS software even though that's supposedly not required when all you want is a USB connection. I thought I might find a USB option on the disk but no such luck. I suppose I could try the Ethernet connection but that looks more involved and I'd really prefer not to.

Here's the specs:

OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2200 @ 2.20GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3060 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family, 320 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 333038 MB, Free - 140595 MB; D: Total - 10358 MB, Free - 1399 MB;
    Motherboard: MSI, Boston
    Antivirus: Norton AntiVirus, Updated and Enabled

Any help appreciated!

2. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Check the following;

Start -> Right click "computer" -> Manage

Go to devices and see if you can see and red or yellow marks for the device.

If no devices are showing errors or warnings there, go to disk management and see if it shows the drive there (It might be uninitialized).

3. veronius

veronius Thread Starter

Hi, Ath... I mean, LOL! Deathstalker sent me directions to another thread where someone said if the USB cable was a Y cable then hook up both ends to USB ports on my computer. I tried that and now I see when I go into device management as you suggested there's a device listed as:

WDC WD50 00AKS-65A7B2 USB Device

under "disk drives." I assume this is my new external hard drive as it didn't show up before. In "Properties" it says this device is working properly. But it still doesn't show up as one of the drives under "My Computer." I went to update device drivers online but my system didn't find anything.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087586

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice