Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

netgear AC1200 wifi router problems connecting to internet

Solved 
11K views 11 replies 2 participants last post by  Macboatmaster 
#1 ·
hello,

i am having a problem with a new netgear AC1200 WIFI router Model R6120 and was hoping to get some help. I had a Linksys cicso WRT110 router that went bad last week. I went to Wal-Mart and bought the netgear AC1200. I hooked it up to a dell e6400 latitude running windows 7 pro and I cannot get it to connect to the internet using a DSL modem.

I can see the router when you click on the icon in the lower right corner that displays the wireless connections. I opened the network and sharing center and selected the "set up a new connection or network" and set up a home connection. I am not sure if I did this correctly.

when you open a IE browser to connect to the internet, the netgear routerlogin screen displays. it states that I did not have a connection to the internet and the netgear genie asked if it should create the connection. I responded yes and the genie started doing the work and then displayed something about a PPPoE connection and asked for my signon and password. I did not remember so I called the DSL provider and they gave it to me. I enter these credentials and the genie responded that the credentials were invalid. I contacted the netgear support and that guy was not much help. he tried some things and when it came to entering the username and password for the PPPoE connection and we received the invalid message, he said that it might be a bad router an that I should take it back and get a new one.

my question is - is there something that I am doing wrong with setting up the router? did I do something wrong when I tried to create the connection in the network and sharing center? I do not remember have to enter the signon user and password when I did the set up for the Linksys.

See less See more
#2 ·
It depends on which stage you are entering the user name and password from the ISP
May I presume that you have already entered the ROUTER user name and password to enable you to sin into the router

To specify the connection settings for a PPPoE Internet service for which you must log in:

Launch a web browser from a computer or mobile device that is connected to the network.

2. Enter http://www.routerlogin.net.

A login window opens.

3. Enter the router user name and password.

The user name is admin. The default password is password. The user name and password are

case-sensitive.

The BASIC Home page displays.

4. Select Internet.

The Internet Setup page displays.

5. Select the Does your Internet connection require a login? Yes radio button.

The page adjusts.

6. From the Internet Service Provider menu, select PPPoE as the encapsulation method.

The page adjusts.

7. In the Login field, enter the login name that your ISP gave you.
etc.
See page 23 user manual for router

The default user name and password for the modem are normally on the backplate or base of the modem as with the router
and of course these will be the ones the ISP gave you I presume

I suggest two things
1. YOU try as I have outlined and consulting the manual
You connect Ethernet cable if necessary direct to modem and see how that goes

2. You reset modem and use default user name and password although I presume you know if you have changed either of these

#3 ·
thanks Macboatmaster

I was able to use your instructions to access the internet. I also found and downloaded the user manual. maybe you could help me with one more thing. every couple of minutes i see the yellow triangle with the exclaimation sign where the network and sharing icon is displayed on the lower right of the taskbar. is there some other setup that I need to do?

#4 · (Edited)
Go network and sharing centre from icon on taskbar
left click icon where yellow exclamation mark appears
click = open network and sharing centre
when that window opens click on left pane
change adapter settings
please post what is shown in the window that opens
hold mouse on each adapter shown and it will reveal what the adapter is

Are you connected to this router by wireless or by LAN - cable

#5 ·
I am connected to the router wireless

local area connection
network cable unplugged
intel(R) 82567LM Gigiabit Network Connection
(this has a red X)

wireless network Connection
NETGEAR38, Shared
Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-Card
(no red X)

Wireless Network Connection 2
Not Connected
Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter
(This has a red X)

#6 ·
On the LAN
Local Area Connection
right click and click disable

do the same with virtual miniport
reboot
and then see if we have got rid of that warning

#8 ·
Install this driver please
http://www.dell.com/support/home/uk...=latitude-e6400&languageCode=en&categoryId=NI

follow instructions on link
after installing restart is required

After you have done that check performance again of connection and is yellow warning there
I suspect it still will be
go back to network and sharing
right click the wireless adapter and click properties
on the windows that opens what please has a check mark
BOTH Internet Protocol Version 6
and Internet Protocol Version 4
if so UNCHECK Version 6
click OK
reboot

and see if that has fixed it.

#10 ·
Please see this
https://kb.netgear.com/24244/Understanding-NETGEAR-LED-Symbols

The internet light on the router going amber indicates that the internet connection between the router and the modem is not correct
The fault will lie either with the cable - are you using the cable supplied with the new router if one was
OR the modem - what took out the old router?

Is the router connected to a surge protector or direct to power

If you have not already done so try powering all down
disconnect router from modem
then power cycle modem
then reconnect router and power on router

#11 ·
macboatmaster,

sorry for the late response. kind of busy here.

first of all, I want to thank you for all of the help that you gave me concerning this issue. i really appreciate all of the time that you put into this.

i have been on the phone with the netgear support team and my ISP provider. I found out from my ISP provider that I had over 100 drops in the past week and that they were going to send out a technician to check my setup. the technician redid the connection for my modem and moved the filters to outside the house. this would make a more stable connection. I swapped out the router for another netgear router and the problem still existed. I contacted the ISP provider again and they sent out another technician. he said that the problem was with my modem. it is old and was not able to handle the higher speeds that are being sent. I currently have 6mg download speed. the modem that I had was a tompson st546 speedtouch that I go from the ISP provider many years ago. He explained that I could get a 25mg download connection using a bonded modem for the same price that I am paying now. I checked with my cable company and their prices are much higher.

I think that I am going to go with the bonded modem setup and I am currently looking for bonded modems. I found the KASDA KW5225 that will work for this setup.

thanks again for all of the time and effort that you put into this

#12 ·
Thanks for posting and thank you for the note of appreciation
It was my pleasure to try and help
Hope it all works out
Please mark it solved by clicking mark solved button on your post

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.