1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Netgear C3000 speed issue

Discussion in 'Networking' started by shaggyfox, Aug 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shaggyfox

shaggyfox Thread Starter

So i got a Netgear C3000. I live in a 18 tenant apartment building, so not huge. We've been using the Wifi with good 50 Mb speed until a few days ago, the speed tests went down to between .5-2 Mb/s.

The TW tech came out, tried it on his modem and an actual Time Warner modem and it was the same. Perfect wired speed, terrible Wifi speed. He thinks there's some kind of new interference somewhere, but can't pinpoint it exactly, understandable. I live in an apartment with 4 other roommates, each are online gamers and streamers, that's 5 people using the same internet. Tried connecting only 1 PC to wireless and still same results. Tried different channels. Nothing.

So before we go and lower the internet speed; Is there a good, relatively cheap router/modem that doesn't pick up interference? Expensive router/modem that doesn't pick up interference? Or should I just get a modem/router with a bunch of Ethernet switches and a bunch of Ethernet cables 100+ft to wire around the apartment? I'm at a loss, and I really don't want to limit the internet between 5 gamers xD

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The following may give us enough information to make a recommendation ...

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page (don't collapse the Radar, Connection or Signal History) of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. If you need help with a screen shot see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows Vista or latter I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

3. shaggyfox

shaggyfox Thread Starter

K here it is. I tried moving the modem to a different room but the room i mover it to, the cable wasn't set up in. Moved it back to the living room where it was and the speed went back up to 50 Mb for about an hour and now it's back down to 3 Mb

But here's the screenshot of Xirrus

Attached Files:

• d.png
      d.png
      File size:
      339.9 KB
      Views:
  4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That only shows about a third of the competing networks, but is enough to indicate at least a little interference on any 2.4 GHz channel. You could consider using 5 GHz, but that means that the router and each wireless adapter has to support it.

If you upgrade the router and all adapters to 802.11ac you may see considerable improvement. I have zero experience with that new protocol, but have read that it is supposed to be better at fending off interference.

Ethernet, as you suggested, would be the "guaranteed" and less expensive solution.

For that particular adapter (Intel 6250) try the driver from the laptop manufacturer's web site and the driver directly from Intel's site. One may work better than the other.

5. shaggyfox

shaggyfox Thread Starter

I tried a different modem. A standard modem from TW and an Asus RT66U N900 that i had previously bought a few months ago. It has dual band. Set up the 2.3 and 5 GhZ and ran the speed test again on the 5Ghz connection. It has the exact same speed as the other modem, right around 2 Mb. And my roommates have older Toshiba laptops that don't detect the 5Ghz even if it did work. Will they be able to detect the 802.11ac if it can't even find the 5 Ghz dual band?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Yes, as long as the wireless mode is not set to ac only. However, as I mentioned, for total benefit the wireless adapter must also be ac.

I suggested the 5 GHz band assuming that the problem on the 2.4 GHz band is interference from other networks. If interference from other networks is the problem then you should be able to find a 5 GHz channel without interference. Unless you just happened to test a 5 GHz channel that is being used in the building there is certainly something else going on here. I don't know what, unless maybe some powerful broadcasting device that is hitting both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. Or your electricity is not at the full 120 volts, and hence the router's radio cannot function properly. Or the router's broadcasting power is set too low (you can check that in the configuration settings).

FWIW, my first post with the official new forum. :cool:

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1153594

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice