1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Netgear Dual-Band 2.4 ghz stops working???

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ronone10, Jun 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ronone10

ronone10 Thread Starter

I hope someone can help me.

The issue is after I stop using my Macbook Air, iPhone or iPad and come back to use them again, I can't connect to the 2.4 ghz band. I can switch to the 5 ghz band without a problem. Then, I can immediately switch back to the 2.4 ghz band and it works. Once I am connected to the 2.4 ghz band and keep using it, I stay connected. It gets frustrating when i get up in the morning or come home from work and I have to do the switch to connect to my home network. Also, the router always switches back to the 2.4 ghz band so this compounds the problem.

I switched routers hoping it would solve it but it's still an issue. I had a Netgear 3800 and now have a Netgear AC1450. My service is with Comcast and I use a Surfboard 6121 modem.

Any thoughts on what's causing this? thanks. Ron

2. Sponsor

3. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

strange it occurs on two different routers

need to look at the signal and see if interference is an issue

post a screen shot

Apple Mac OS
    If you are using the Mac OS then use http://www.istumbler.net/
    To upload the screen shot to the forum, open the full reply window ("Go Advanced" button) and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
    Full details are available here http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Posting_a_Screenshot

4. ronone10

ronone10 Thread Starter

Thanks, I will post a screen shot later today. I have a list of honey do's... My wife reminded me this wasn't a problem earlier in the year. The only other change I made was returning Comcast's modem and buying the Surfboard 6121. I think she's right, I don't recall having this problem before the 6121.

5. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

just an idea - this has resolved odd issues before

the router manages the wifi - should not have anything to do with the modem - just means what you mean by cannot connect to the 2,4ghz - cant connect to the wireless or cant connect to the internet

------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to power cycle

“power cycle” process to reboot or reset the modem/router
    • Switch off all the devices modem, router and computers also unplug their power cables.
    • Wait at least 1 to 5 minutes. We have found in some instances you need to wait at least 5 minutes
    • Plug the power cords back in, but don’t switch them on.
    • First turn on the modem and then wait for a few minutes for it to settle and all the lights to become stable.
    • Next switch on the router (if a separate device) and then wait for a few minutes for it to settle and all the lights to become stable.
    • Now turn on your computer, You should now be able to access the Internet.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

6. ronone10

ronone10 Thread Starter

I cannot connect to the wireless

7. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

can we see the screen shot

8. ronone10

ronone10 Thread Starter

Wayne, just to be sure, you want to see the screen shot of my Airport connection from iStumbler? Is there anything there I shouldn't be showing online?

9. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

no -nothing should be an issue
    the IPs will be router IP and the same for everyone
    and no passwords should be on the screen or visible

10. ronone10

ronone10 Thread Starter

Wayne, here it it.

I am Netgear86 and Netgear86-5G

Attached Files:

11. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

that is showing a low signal strength - ie yellow - which maybe the issue
    although as i do not have a Mac I cannot test

are all device this distance away from the router - or if you are 4-6ft away can you still not connect

lets see a graph of the signal
    http://www.chimoosoft.com/products/apgrapher/

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1101886