1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Netgear FA311

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rbeaufor, Feb 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rbeaufor

rbeaufor Thread Starter

Recently bought the netgear FA311.

When I installed it and try to boot, my computer hangs....as it it will not boot.

I've tried using all but the first PCI slot
    I've recently flashed my BIOS to the most updated version
    I've even recently reformatted my Harddrive

Can't figure out why I cannot even boot up with the card in

The details:

BCM QS750 mobo, BIOS ver 1.01
    AMD Ahlon 500mHZ
    356 MB RAM
    Riva TNT video (1st slot)
    Realtek 10mbps ethernet card (2nd slot)
    empty PCI slot
    USB2.0 card (4th slot)
    Diamond Supraexpress modem (1st ISA slot)
    generic sound card --currently fried (2nd ISA slot)
    Windows 2000 OS

I cant find anything about not being able to boot with the FA311 card on the NETGEAR site

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Try moving the Netgear card to another slot.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

That's somewhat of a mystery, I've been using the Netgear cards for years, and I've never had any problems configuring and using them with everything from W98 through XP. I'd have to say that it sounds like a BIOS issue, where in the process does it hang?

4. Rockn

Rockn

I have had problems with the FA311 cards on one particular ASUS motherboard where it would not boot at all with it installed. Had to do a BIOS upgrade and it worked just fine. Go to the manufacturers web site to see if there are any known issues with that particular NIC.

5. rbeaufor

rbeaufor Thread Starter

thanks for suggestions...

alex...I tried all 3 available PCI slots without success

John... once the card is in, I cannot even get to the screen which shows my videocard version and system BIOS...it never even boots up. It simply will not start so my monitor never cuts on.

John and rockin... I was looking at the netgear site last week and they mentioned need for BIOS update, so I flashed mine to the latest available (granted this is an old mobo).

I was looking this morning at something about IRQ conflicts only I cannot find out what address it occupies because it never boots.

...thoughts....?

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Maybe it's just flat incompatible! I guess it happens, it's just something I've never seen. I have the Netgear cards in stuff from the early days of the PCI bus, and I've never experienced any issues like this.

7. rbeaufor

rbeaufor Thread Starter

I was reading another post which suggests that the conflict must be with my video card as my video card never starts after I install the card. Later (after I understand it more) I'm going to try assigning a different IRQ to the video card and try installing the card again....

I agree, I haven't heard of an incompatible ethernet card before.

we'll see...:(

8. rbeaufor

rbeaufor Thread Starter

OK I finally have the netgear card installed.

Evidently it was an IRQ conflict....

My PC had all of my PCI devices assigned to IRQ 11

As the video card nerev booted with the FA 311 card in I figured that was where the conflict was. however windows would not allow me to change the IRQ for my video card even after changing the BIOS to "mannually assign IRQ" it would not let me do it.

Finally I uninstalled my video card in the device manager before shutting down. I installed the ethernet card and rebooted. At first it would not boot, but I kept hitting the reset button (saw that on another post ). Finally it restarted but the card had a yellow question mark by it.

I checked the Device manager and found tha tmy PCI devices had been moved to IRQ 7 and my eternet card had no address (it was not functioning properly.

I uninstalled it and rebooted , this time windows found it and it installed correctly.

I rechecked my IRQ settings and found all my PCI devices (video card, USB 2.0 card , and the netgear ethernet card at #7.

Why does it work now?... I don't know
    Why did it move my devices from IRQ #11 to #7?...I don't know

Does the ethernet card work ?....yes, and thats all that matters.

However if someone knows what the problem was, don't hesitate to post it.

:D

9. Rockn

Rockn

It is the card and ACPI and plug and play on some motherboards. I saw quite a few articles and they said there were incompatibilitieswith it and Athlon, not AthlonXP based processors for some reason. Maybe it's a prblem between it and certain motherboard chipsets.

10. rbeaufor

rbeaufor Thread Starter

Looks like I spoke too soon.....

took me forever to get my system to boot up today.

I figures it must be the BIOS so I changed my settings for "assign IRQ" back to automatic.

This time it took me forever and a day to boot (I think I hit reset literally 20 times)

Once it booted I adjusted that setting back to manual. This time it only took a few tries to boot up.

Anybody know how I can truly assign the IRQ of any of my PCI peripherals. The only things Wun2K will let me adjust (those that aren't greyed out) are my modem (in an ISA slot) and my floppy.

Or maybe I have it all wrong and that's not the issue. :confused:

Anyone with any thoughts???

11. wedor

wedor

IIRC the is an incompatibility between that card and the AMD 750 chipset on your board, I know I read about it somewhere but have been unable to relocate that information.

12. wedor

wedor

Here's some more info on this situation. The FA311 needs ot be in a slot that supports bus mastering, only two of the four PCI slots on that board support bus mastering so it would have to be in one of them. You would have to look in your motherboard manual to determine which slots are usable

13. rbeaufor

rbeaufor Thread Starter

then there is no way to resolve the incompatibility?

I should just get (yet another) card?

Is there someplace I can check and ensure that it will be compatible???

The web pages remaining about my particular board haven't been updated since 99 so there isn't any good info about more recent products.

14. Rockn

Rockn

The 3Com's and Intel cards work with almost everything and are a much better card. I can almost guarantee they will work.

15. rbeaufor

rbeaufor Thread Starter

OK, look slike I have to get a new card :mad:

Tell me is there any benefit to buying the 3com or intel card short of name alone. I'm getting paranoid now and considering finding a realtek 10/100 card to replace the 10Mbps card I replaced because at least I know it works....:confused:

...however, if there's a speed benefit, I'm there :D

thanks !!!!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!