1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

netgear headache

Discussion in 'Networking' started by rarodrig, Jan 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rarodrig

rarodrig Thread Starter

The Problem: I "upgraded" to a netgear wireless super-G router.

Orginal set up was d-link "b" router which worked fine. Changed to the Netgear router and add eTrust internet Security suite to one of two laptops using the router, and Norton Inernet Security Suite to a wired PC.

Now BOTH wired and wireless internet connections gets repeatedly dropped, although I have good signal (shows connection to my network).

Also occasionally get a message about an IP error conflict, that I thinks is when I first power up another PC on the lan.

I was thinking of trying to delete everything and start over setting up a workgroup.

???

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If it's wireless drops, I doubt that reconfiguration of the workgroup is the answer. Did you check for any firmware upgrades for your new router?

First off, why not connect the older router and make sure it all works like it used to? Also, adding all the security applications may have been one factor. Have you disabled the security applications to see if that helps?

3. rarodrig

rarodrig Thread Starter

the netgear router is WGT624

one wireless card is Netgear WG511T
    other wireless is built-in Intel pro wireless 2100 3B mini adapter

4. rarodrig

rarodrig Thread Starter

Can't switch back to the old router, I gave it away.

Did switch off eTrust security and did not seem to help.

The reason I was thinking of rebuilding was that the newer laptop can't see the shared printer, frequently I can not see shared folders, and the IP error messages.

Also when I built this network first on a win98 pc using "Netbuoy" and the win98 machine I no longer have.

5. rarodrig

rarodrig Thread Starter

Checked Netgear and no firmware updates.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537138

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice