1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Netgear MR814 Wireless Router Issues

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Mmmbacon, Sep 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mmmbacon

Mmmbacon Thread Starter

I have a dell Latitude 800 with the built in Intel PRO Wirelss LAN 2100 card.

At work the card works fine with the linksys BEFW11S4 wireless router at the office. No problems at all.

I purchased the netgear MR814 wireless router for home use. I have 2 other non wireless PC's on my home network that work fine on the switch of the new netgear wireless router. I created a connection for the new wireless network and did a scan and found the netgear wireless network with excellent signal. I am able to surf the web, check email etc fine at great speeds for about 10 minutes. Then the connection will drop from "excellent" to "Out of Range". I scan for the network and see it, but the connection stays on out of range. If power down the wireless router, and power it back up, connectivity is immediately restored, for about 10 minutes, then I have to reset it again. Note that my proximity to the netgear wireless during this testing is never more than 10 feet away in the same room.

I use the default router settings origionally. Then changed the default channel, changed the security settings etc, all configurations exhibited the same behavior.

Seeing as how the linksys works perfect, Im assuming its a problem with the netgear. Anyone have any suggestions??

Thanks

2. Bruce319

Bruce319

make sure to set your wireless computer on auto negotiation and download the latest firmware for both the routher and card.

3. BillC

BillC

I agree with your conclusion that it is the NetGear with the problem. If you try what Bruce suggested with no luck...take it back. I have a netgear MR814 wireless router that gets much better range in a hostile environment {lots of walls}

4. Mmmbacon

Mmmbacon Thread Starter

thanks for the help guys. It ended up being and issue with the netgear and PSP (Power Save Polling). On the power settings in the Wireless card, i changed the power settings from automatic, to manual. Viola!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166634

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice