1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Netgear N900 CG4500BD Issues

Discussion in 'Networking' started by cjn801, Feb 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cjn801

cjn801 Thread Starter

Hopefully I am in the right spot here. My router/modem combo won't maintain connection to the internet. It seems to be going through a constant refresh or reboot cycle. I have been on the phone with ISP and they have been no help, only to send a tech out tomorrow to hopefully figure something out. I thought it might be a faulty router/modem so I just had it replaced and the new one still does the same. I have done hard resets, soft resets, cycled the modem on and off to no avail.

Any one know of this happening before and know how to resolve? Many thanks!

2. Golden_

Golden_

Could be the AC adapter on the modem if that wasn't replaced.

You might also want to check to make sure that the router's firmware is the latest version released by netgear because sometimes it could be a software bug that was fixed with recent updates.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Also possible problem with the power supply. If you are plugging into a surge protector or power strip try plugging directly into a wall outlet. Make sure the circuit is not overloaded.

4. cjn801

cjn801 Thread Starter

/Thank you for the insight. I did have the AC adapter replaced and did unplug from a strip to the wall. The same occurrence happened right after I did so.

I am unsure if there is a firmware update available. Being an ISP provided modem, don't they (the ISP) have to come out with their own updates?

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Is this a new cable service for you?

If you've had the service for awhile before the problem started were there any changes to the cabling between the outside and the modem around the time the problem started?

6. cjn801

cjn801 Thread Starter

I've had service with my ISP for a little over 6 months now. As far as I know there were no changes to the cabling around the time it started (edit*the tech did add some sort of adapter to the cable box on the side of the apartment), I do live in an apartment so I am unsure of what may or may not of happened. The only change that I am aware of is that I upgraded my service to "faster" speeds. I am starting to think that may have something to do with it.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    When the tech comes be sure to tell him about that. Maybe the work resulted in a loose connection or an improper ground.

8. cjn801

cjn801 Thread Starter

Just found out the hard way that all that was needed to be done was to change the channel to 1 or 11.

That's $100 worth of advise right there. Everything is up and running smoothly now.

9. cjn801

cjn801 Thread Starter

This actually did not solve the issue, please disregard the last post.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Good. Wireless interference on channel 1 is not consistent with "router/modem combo won't maintain connection to the internet" nor to "It seems to be going through a constant refresh or reboot cycle."

The bad part, I assume, is that the problem did not occur while the tech was there and the tech didn't probe deeply enough.

11. Golden_

Golden_

Just as an idea, try examining the logs of the modem/router, and if this reboot is issued by the modem/router itself, then it should have a log file of the activity.

You might also want to try using a different power outlet to eliminate any possibility that this reboot is caused by a deteriorating outlet in the apartment.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!