1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Netgear Nighthawk X8 Wi fi for some devices

Discussion in 'Networking' started by vette8182, Aug 4, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. vette8182

vette8182 Thread Starter

For some reason I can no longer connect to my Netgear Nighthawk x8 router wirelessly with cell phones, laptops, & Tablets. The funny thing is that my RING camera system, RING alarm system, and Amazon fire tv devices still connect wirelessly with no issue. I downloaded the latest firmware update. Still does not work. I get "authentication error" when trying to connect with cell phones and laptops. I get "invalid password" with an apple Ipad. I reset my modem and router no less then 10 times. No change. I factory reset my Netgear Nighthawk x8 and had to re set it up. Still same issue. Any ideas short of resetting and unplugging again? I cannot connect to either 2.4, 5 and guest wifi connections. They do show up as available connections. It is password protected and I put the correct password in. The guest connection I put no password on it. I did run anti virus software ect. (multiple times/programs) nothing found. I have windows 10 computer.

2. dckeks

dckeks

First Name:
    Darrin
    This is how I recommend that you update the firmware and start over fresh. Let me know if any changes.

ALWAYS! Do a Factory Reset before Installing Firmware.
    ALWAYS! Enter your settings manually.
    ALWAYS! Do a Factory Reset after Installing Firmware.
    NEVER! Restore saved settings after installing Firmware.

3. vette8182

vette8182 Thread Starter

I did a 30/30/30 reset. The router is up but I cannot connect to it via routerlogin.net or routerlogin.com, or 192.168.1.1. Also, the wifi now shows up as Netgear10 and Netgear10-5G. It just spins when I enter the default password on cell phone, then says unable to authenticate. I also cannot connect to the router through the Netgear genie on the desktop, the app states NETGEAR router is not found or is not supported. Also make sure the device is not connected to the guest network of the router, and no IPv6 is enabled...

4. dckeks

dckeks

First Name:
    Darrin
    Connect Ethernet. Try setting your pc to a static ip of 192.168.1.5 or so and disconnect from wifi. See if you can accesshte router. Let me know if you need more guidance.

5. tecknurd

tecknurd

Probably your RING devices and Amazon Fire TV have connected to your neighbor's wifi network and not yours. Wifi is invisible, so you won't know what wifi point they are connected to. The default SSID can be the same as yours and your neighbors. The device will pick which one is better.

Note the "idiot" lights on the wifi router and compared it to the manual. For Windows, go to the run command (Windows Key + r) and type cmd.exe. Then type ipconfig /all. Note the IP address to the manual. The manual will usually be on the disc that came with your router.

Use a computer that connects to the network through a wire or cable instead of using wifi. Wifi usually is not set up to configure routers. Updating the wifi router's firmware is best to use with this connection than wifi because it's the most reliable connection.

Don't configure your router while the modem is on and connected to it. For security, disconnect the modem before configuring the router. To make sure things are working, use the ping command to ping the router and other computers. After you have configured the router and everything is working, you can then connect the modem.

6. vette8182

vette8182 Thread Starter

Well, I just decided to use a Costco Voucher I had sitting around and bought a Orbi 2 pack. I am using that now and goodby to the nighthawk.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1214012

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice