1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

NetGear router and wireless IP help

Discussion in 'Networking' started by leonaruth, Nov 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. leonaruth

leonaruth Thread Starter

I have a new wireless ip camera that works great and I can view it from any computer in my home after entering user name and password.
    However, when trying to access from outside my home the ip address with the port number at the end doesn't even ask for a user name and password. It just comes up with a can't connect error.
    I have a Netgear router and can get inside to see connected devices and I'm guessing somewhere in here I need to give a permission to view this camera outside my home network.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Nearby using your Wi-Fi, or over the internet? If the latter you have to use your public IP address and have to set your router to forward the needed port(s) to the camera.

3. leonaruth

leonaruth Thread Starter

Over the internet at work, I get a connection error. The ip address looks something like 192.166.1.6:1025 and works from my home network. However when I try it from my work computer I get an error. However, on my home network I can type this in and all I need is a user name and password.

I'm not sure how to forward the port for my ip camera if that is what will fix this. I have NetGear router. Please see below and thank you SO MUCH! Leona

http://wikisend.com/download/136588/routeripcamera.gif

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Find your router at portforward.com for tailored instructions.

Private IP addresses assigned to your LAN (e.g., 192.168.1.x) are not rout-able over the internet.

One way to get your public IP is with whatismyip.com.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024988

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice