1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Netgear router as access point for other network??

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Cr0wZz, Dec 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cr0wZz

Cr0wZz Thread Starter

My setup is as follows:

main router is near the kitchen, ethernet travels through wall to my bedroom, where theres a linksys hub. from the hub, i have my xbox connnected, and a cable leading to my cisco catalyst switch. From the catalyst, i have my computer, my server, a netgear router and a network hard drive connected.(the reason im using the switch as opposed to the hub is because i ran out of ethernet slots, lol and didnt want to buy a bigger router, the greatly expensive corporate switch was free, and is much faster)

like this:

router > wall > hub > switch > devices

So yeah, onto my question...
    My main router(which has wifi, but doesnt reach here), uses the 192.168.x.x ip class, and my netgear routers dhcp server uses a 10.x.x.x ip scheme. How would i make the netgear routers dhcp server hand out ip addresses as if it were just like the main 192.168. network(not an entire subnet, just like an access point working on the main network ip)? i tried disabling my dhcp server on the netgear router, so dhcp requests would (hopefully) be forwarded to the main router, but it went apipa and didnt work at all..

very simple netgear router, the wireless g wgr614
    the main router is a Linksys E2000

the switch is locked, she has no config, i have no cisco cable to connect and program it, all it does is forward the requests its given...

any help would be greatly appreciated, ive seen how you can just buy an antenna and itll work as an access point on any network, but a whole router should be able to do the same thing, i just dont know how.....

2. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

Connecting two soho routers in a network

Tutorial from Johnwill from the Networking Forum

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

Hopefully one of these will lead you in the right direction.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031134

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice