1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Netgear Router help

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ChuckJP, Mar 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChuckJP

ChuckJP Thread Starter

I think I'm fairly knowledgeable about what I'm trying to accomplish, but don't know enough to correct my problem. If you try to help me, assume I know nothing. Walk me through it.

I'm trying to get my friend to be able to play online games against me, namely Warcraft 3 and MOHAA. He is sharing his ISP access with another PC in his house. They have a Netgear WGR614v2 router, each connected to it with a Cat6 cable. I know how to set it up to open ports, I just don't know which ports to forward or what the actual IP address of his machine is.

His internet connection is fine, tested with good speed. (Comcast Cable, 3.3 d/l, 256 u/l). Since he is behind the router firewall, I assume I need to forward ports. He can join my game in WC3, but cannot start his own game due to the fact that I can't "see" his game on the server. MOHAA uses a direct connection using an IP address. Neither of us can start a game and have the other "see" the game.

1) What's the best way to determine my/his IP address?

2) Do the two machines on his router each have their own IP address? Does opening up ports on the router open them up for both PC's? ( only one wants to play online games ).

I can provide a bunch more info and answer questions on what I've tried if anyone is interested. I'm sure it's the router/firewall that is preventing us from playing, but can't figure out how to correct it.

2. coulterp

coulterp

Q1: If you use the site http://www.myip.com/ from a PC it will tell you the external (public) IP address.

If you use the command ipconfig/all on a PC it will tell you the privte IP address of the PC (because your are behind a NAT router all the PCs on the LAN will have this private IP address).

Q2: Yes the two machines will each have an IP address issued by the router. Determine as above.
    I expect that the WGR614v2 is basically the same as my WGR614v1. In which case a specific port can only be forwarded to a single (private) IP address e.g. you could forward port 1000 to IP address 192.168.0.10. So opening up the ports on the router will only open/forward a particular port to one of the machines.

Your Warcraft 3 and MOHAA stuff should tell what ports are used. You might find http://www.netgear-support.com/ts/doc/port_applications.htm useful.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/216319

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice