1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Netgear router issue

Discussion in 'Networking' started by networkingnewbie, Apr 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. networkingnewbie

networkingnewbie Thread Starter

Ok, so heres the scoop.

I have an old dual 108 Netgear router a/g that I am trying to connect to my dsl modem.

I can connect throught the moden to pc just fine and dandy however when I put the router in the middle it wont connect on the pc but it displays the wireless g I am trying to setup too. The router shows that it has no IP address i have tryed resteing the stack and have the router configered for PPPoE with my dsl username and password but still no dice.

I really dont want to have to go buy another router today if I dont have too if there is something minor I am missing...

Please help! Thank you!

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

What is the manufacturer and model for the modem? Also please open a command window (Start > Run > type cmd) and at the prompt type ipconfig /all
    Post the results here.

3. networkingnewbie

Modem is a Westell 6100
    ip config results with the modem
    physical address 00-11-2f-1d-11-99
    dhcp enabled yes
    autoconfiguartion enabled yes
    ip address 192.168.1.2
    subnet mask 255.255.255.0
    default gateway 192.168.1.1
    dhcp server ll
    nds servers ll

4. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

The Westell 6100 is a modem + router and its default 192.168.1.1 IP address may be the same as your router IP address (which would cause a conflict). What is the model for the Netgear router?

5. networkingnewbie

Netgear Wgu624

6. pedroguy

pedroguy

See if this might work for your router:
    http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1080
    Or the TSG homegrown suggestion:
    Your modem probably is a modem/router combo.Here are some possible fixes .

a. Bridge the modem/router unit so that it bypasses the router function and acts as a modem only. Or,

b. Change the address range used by one of the routers, say, to 192.168.3.x. Or,

c. Use the second router as an ethernet switch and wireless access point per the following recipe.

Connecting two soho routers in a network

Tutorial from Johnwill from the Networking Forum

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915967

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice