1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Netgear Router loopback

Discussion in 'Networking' started by JPLamb, Apr 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JPLamb

JPLamb Thread Starter

Hi all

I have searched the internet for hours for an answer to this and the few methods that i have found have not worked and so i am hoping that somebody here has the answer.

I have a netgear wireless router ( DG834GT ) and i run a personal web server on my network. Everything works fine except when i go to jplamb.co.uk from my network it can not load the page. I found out that my router does not allow loopback but that there are patches that can make it work.

I have tried http://www.waveform.plus.com/netgear.html but this did not work, it says it can not exicute script on router and comes up with error "The script returned non-zero exit code (RC=2)"

Does anybody have another way to enable loopback? i use the website from both home and out of the house and i use a lot of links so using the local address is not really an option.

Thank you, Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Would adding jplamb.co.uk to your Windows HOSTS file work?

You may have to do a bit of extra work to edit the file if you are using Vista or Windows 7.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923947

3. JPLamb

JPLamb Thread Starter

How would i add it to my host files? i have not done this before.

Cheers

4. JPLamb

JPLamb Thread Starter

forgot to say i am using windows 7

5. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    1) Find Notepad in the WIndows Start menu. It is probably in the Accessories folder.

2) Right click on Notepad and choose "Run as administrator". You may get prompted to confirm you wish to do so.

3) Click on File -> Open ..., in the menu bar.

4) In the open file dialog box, select "All types (*.*) to the right of the file name entry box.

5) Navigate to the location of the hosts file and open it. On my computer running 64 Bit 7 Home Premium, it is in the C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc folder.

6) The file has comments that describe how to add and configure the address line. Add the line with the URL and local IP address.

7) Save the edited file using the same name and without adding any extension.

Not sure if you need to restart Windows 7 for the new Hosts settings to be recognized.

6. JPLamb

JPLamb Thread Starter

Hi, Thank you for your reply,

I have had a look at host files and it is all a bit confusing to me, if i was to attach the relevant files would it be possible for somebody to add the needed line?

the external domain in jplamb.co.uk and the local ip is 192.164.0.4

thank you for your help

7. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Use notepad to add these two line to the end of the HOSTS file

Code:
    # LAN IP Address of Local Server
    192.164.0.4  jplamb.co.uk

8. JPLamb

JPLamb Thread Starter

Hi,

I added the text you said to the HOSTS file and it has not worked,

is there anything else i can try?

Thanks

9. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Not sure what else to suggest other than getting a router that supports loopback. I had the same problem you described several years ago and adding a line to the HOSTS file on my computer running Windows XP worked for me. Maybe somebody here knows if anything else needs to be done with Windows 7 besides just editing the HOSTS file.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Are you sure your computer's IP address has not changed from 192.168.0.4?

You could not even access your home page that way?

11. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    After reading Terry's post, I just realized that the address is not in a range reserved for private IP addresses. Are you sure you didn't mean to use 192.168.0.4?

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    It was only after reading your post that I noticed the 164. :)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917488

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice