1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Netgear router & MSN Messenger

Discussion in 'Networking' started by DrBeardy, Jul 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrBeardy

DrBeardy Thread Starter

I'm having a curious issue of late, namely that every time I try and send a file or receive a file via Windows Live Messenger (8.0.787 and 792), my Netgear WGR614 v6 router switches the wireless off. It's in the next room and becoming a major annoyance to have to keep restarting it. But that's definitely the cause; someone can offer to send me a file and I can choose to cancel it, but if I accept a file the network connection times out within a couple of minutes and looking at the router the wireless light has gone off. I had wondered if maybe I was overloading it, but I had 5 torrents, 2 web browsers (on automatic refresh) and an instance of the Matrix Online running earlier with no issue. It's just Messenger's file transfer thing. I've firmware-upgraded the router, and if it weren't for practicality reasons I'd give up and go back to good old 802.3u (which incidentally works normally after the wireless connection has bombed). It happens on both my desktop PC and laptop, both using 802.11g (as is the router). Security is off (but so is broadcast SSID). I'm mystified by this, does anyone have any thoughts?

2. Blink182

Blink182 Banned

Ever tried MSN Messenger 7.5

3. DrBeardy

DrBeardy Thread Starter

All sorted now. I went through the router disabling everything until the problem disappeared, and it hasn't come back since I disabled the Stateful Packet Intrusion firewall.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483220

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice