1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Netgear Router Remote Management Problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by GarryD, Nov 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GarryD

GarryD Thread Starter

I'm having problems trying to get remote management to work on a friend's Netgear DG834Gv2 wireless router modem (firmware version 3.01.31).

The router has a dynamic IP address but is permanently powered on so it only changes occasionally, but in addition I have set it to e-mail the status logs to me on a daily basis and can usually monitor any changes to the IP address when the lease expires or if a power outage occurs because the logs include details of port scans by source and destination address.

I can use VNC to access the desktop machine (XP Pro SP2) connected to the router from my PC (also XP2 SP2) by setting port forwarding on ports 5800 and 5900 to the desktop's reserved local IP address (192.168.0.2) so I know I'm using the correct WAN IP address.

Remote management is enabled using port 8080 and for testing purposes is set to accept communications from any remote computer. The router is password protected (not the default p/w).

However, when I enter the IP address in to my browser (IE6) the router management console log on screen is not displayed (Page Not Found). I've tried entering the IP address (xx.xx.xx.xx:8080) with and without the http:// prefix and have also tried it with Google Chrome but the result is always the same.

I've looked on several other web based IT help forums and have seen the same problem posted but no working solutions offered in response so I've come back to my favourite forum for help :rolleyes: Have also looked on the Netgear site but can't see any details of the problem.

On my home PC I access the internet via a Linksys ADSL2 MUE USB/Ethernet modem connected to a Belkin F5D7230-4 wireless router and have NIS2005 installed. Have checked the firewall rules and can't see any block on outgoing comms on port 8080. Even tried creating a specific rule allowing outgoing comms on that port (local and remote) but it doesn't make any difference.

Can anyone suggest what it is I haven't considered or offer some suggestions on how to fix this problem?

Thanks

Garry
    London, England

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Try ShieldsUp and scan from that network and see if port 8080 shows up as open.

3. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    If your friend has some type of residential broadband service, the service provider may prohibit customers from running their own servers as part of the terms of service. In which case they may be blocking incoming http connection requests on ports 80 and 8080.

4. GarryD

GarryD Thread Starter

Tried that and port 8080 shows up as Stealth not Closed.

5800 and 5900 (vnc) showed up as Open which is what I expected because I had set port forwarding for those two.

Would a port blocked by a residential ISP show up as Stealth or Closed?

Thanks.

Garry

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Stealth indicates that it's being totally blocked at some point, maybe by the ISP.

6. GarryD

GarryD Thread Starter

Thanks John.

I'll talk to the ISP later today and see if they will confirm Port 8080 is blocked.

Garry

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/774490

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice