1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Netgear Router to Belkin Wireless G Range Extender

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Rep, Mar 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rep

Rep Thread Starter

I am in need of a range extender to boost my WiFi access abilities. I am finding our cell phones not working as well in one part of the house as the other.

I have a Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Band Router. This serves much of the home quite well actually. But it begins to fade when connecting from the great room.

I happen to already have an old Belkin Wireless G Range Extender/Access Point.

Is there a way for me to get the Belkin to receive and boost the signal strength from the Netgear router? Or, is this equipment proprietary to the point they will not work together? And if so, I assume I will need to pick up a Netgear range extender? Or, are there other options?

Thank you for considering to assist me.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    whats the exact model - it should be able to work

3. Rep

Rep Thread Starter

The Belkin Wireless G Range Extender/Access Point is model #F5D7130.

The router is a Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Band Router WNDR3400.

Thanks for your help.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  5. Rep

Rep Thread Starter

The operating manual I have for the Belkin states the unit as, "The Belkin Wireless G Range Extender/Access Point". Is that not what the dd-wrt fix would turn the Belkin into? If so, would not the Belkin already serve as a, "repeater"?

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    its an extender rather than a repeater

a repeater, picks up your wireless signal and connects to the router and then transmits a wireless signal of its own which you connect to and connect to the main router

the extender needs a cable connected to the router - cant see any repeater facility on the user manual
    do you have a setting where you can see the other broadcast wireless signals and connect to one of those ?

7. Rep

Rep Thread Starter

No, I see no setting for other broadcast signals.

I think I will pick up another unit that I am confident I will do what I need it to do. You brought me to realize that there is another application that I may want a repeater to perform.
    I have a wireless Sonos music system that I also would like to extend coverage. That may not be possible but I will attempt to see if I can get that to work with wireless access as well.

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1093388

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice