1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Netgear Router WNDR3400 Dual Band only getting 1 band??

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jmk909er, Jun 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jmk909er

jmk909er Thread Starter

N600 Wireless Dual Band Router WNDR3400.

I am trying to get a signal out in my garage at the opposite end of my router location. I am getting 1 bar and "poor" signal. I downloaded inSSIDer to analyse my signal and I notice that my "Wireless Network (5GHz a/n)" is not broadcasting anything. The checkbox for "Enable SSID Broadcast" is checked.

I have very limited knowledge of this stuff but it seems to me that if it is a dual band that I should be seeing 2 different signals, right?

All I see is this: Wireless Network (2.4GHz b/g/n)

I have attached screenshot of my settings

Can someone help me out with this? Thanks, Joe

Attached Files:

2. Sponsor

3. Couriant

Couriant James Trusted Advisor

I have noticed that some of my devices do not pick up the 5Ghz... I assume it's due to technology. What is your computer make/model and wireless adapter name?

4. jmk909er

jmk909er Thread Starter

I am using a downloaded utility called inSSIDer that sees all the networks around me including 5Ghz of my neighbors but not mine.

5. metallica5456

metallica5456 Andrew Trusted Advisor

I have used that EXACT router theres a setting in the router wireless to ENABLE dual band broadcast and you have to have 2 DIFFERENT SSID. Like I had netgear (for 2.4ghz) and other was netgear1 (for 5ghz). Try that and see if it helps

EDIT:
    I didnt see your screenshot above before I posted. Thats what I had to do just like you did. Have you tried reseting the router to factory defaults and trying again?

6. jmk909er

jmk909er Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip I guess I will try to do a factory reset

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Keep in mind that 5 GHz Wi-Fi has a much shorter range than 2.4 GHz. If you are getting only a weak signal on 2.4 then it is not surprising that you see no 5 GHz. OTOH, if you are measuring the signals near the router this doesn't apply.

8. jmk909er

jmk909er Thread Starter

I just bought a range extender on Amazon. When it gets here in a few days I'll set it up and hopefully this will give me a usable signal out in my garage.

9. metallica5456

metallica5456 Andrew Trusted Advisor

Seriously?? I thought a 5GHZ band was supposed to be stronger and further seeing as it was designed for like media streaming correct? Im interested to know why it has shorter range.

10. jmk909er

jmk909er Thread Starter

Yes I would like to know now which has the strongest signal, 2.4GHz or 5GHz??? This could be very important to me getting a stronger signal.

11. jmk909er

jmk909er Thread Starter

I inquired on the NetGear forum about what had the strongest range/single and their response was:

12. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor

This is true. But the problem with 2.4 is the limited number of available channels and the number of other devices which also operate on the 2.4 GHz frequency (microwave ovens, baby monitors, non-network wireless devices, etc.)

The reason why everyone is looking at 802.11ac with such interest is because ac will operate in the 5 GHz band and bring to the table more operating channels. This will solve the constant problem with 2.4 which is crowded air space and tons of extraneous interference.

I was looking at the real time spectrum analyzer in my wireless system and I was surprised how much stuff is running on channel 6 which made this channel utterly useless.

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

2.4 GHz has longer range and somewhat better at penetrating obstacles. What Is the Typical Range of a Wi-Fi LAN?

14. Couriant

in conjunction with .11.g or .11n? I thought .11n had longer range?

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

802.11n is up to about 1400 feet. But I'm pretty sure that's the 2.4 GHz.

16. Couriant

so it's possible he is not using .n?

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1100940