1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Netgear Router working fine, but getting booted

Discussion in 'Networking' started by sbvr6, Feb 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sbvr6

sbvr6 Thread Starter

Hey i got the new websafe router for my place, so me and the roomie could share a single ip from a cable modem provider, roadrunner. Anyhow, my olny quarrel is that it disconnects at least once daily. One time i was still able to to access the routers set up page and have it detect settings and it started working again. But most of the time, actually all other than that, i cant do anything. The sending data light in the taskbar of my computer just flashes peridoically. I have to unplug the router and modem to get it to reset. I dont mind that, but what i do mind is that the router is in some1's room who is never home and always locks the door, so its very hard sometimes to get it reset. Is there a setting or something i can do to keep it from kicking itself off the cable modem's line? I have it setup to dynamically get the ip from the isp, because we dont have a static ip from the isp. Please let me know if there anytype of setting i need to change to keep the router from disconnecting itself and all attached off the net.

2. Del

Del

What Netgear do you have? Do you know the model number?

3. sbvr6

sbvr6 Thread Starter

its the rp416 or rtp416, i knoew that 416 is in it. i looked up at thier website and they said make port 65000 open for roadrunner sometimes that helps, so i just port forwarded that to my ip address, since i reserved it for my computer, and im hoping that will work. I found out that everytime we get booted, its a mac address issue. And im not sure what mac addy they set up with the isp, because everytime it works with a different mac address. Please let me know if it makes any sense..

4. gkimble

gkimble Account Disabled

Update the Router's Firmware and also go into the NIC's settings and make sure Windows is NOT allowed to turn off the device to save power.

5. sbvr6

sbvr6 Thread Starter

already updated the firmware to latest revision from website as soon as i installed the rrouter, as far as doing that power thing? How does the computer control the power going to the router? I dont get it

6. gkimble

gkimble Account Disabled

No, No. Power to the Network Card not the Router. Go into your network settings and CONFIGURE the NIC. The last tab let's you check or uncheck the power setting.

7. sbvr6

sbvr6 Thread Starter

oh i see, but its not just me who gets dq'ued. It's everyone attached to the router. So im not sure how changing the settings to my nic will change anything, but please let me know your logic

8. gkimble

gkimble Account Disabled

Can you allow a certain number of DHCP users in the router settings ? If so, allow all you need.

9. Del

Del

Have you ever tried just rebooting your computer to see if you reconnect without turning off the modem and router?

10. sbvr6

sbvr6 Thread Starter

yea many times i have done so. And to no avail. Everyone's internet goes down
    and we gotta restart the hardware. It sucks though, because ive tried everything. I just changed the mac address of the outer to that of the computer that the internet was orginally set up for, so im hoping that will fix the problem. Please let me know what else it may be.

11. cinci_matt

cinci_matt

have you tried setting the router to spoof one of your systems MAC addy's?

one of my clients had the same issue, the problem was that the ISP tied the IP that it issues to the MAC addy of the first system, when the following systems come on line, the ISP gets screwed up and ends up dropping the connection after some time.

check your Netgear Doc's for instructions on spoofing the MAC of your system.

m

12. Del

Del

Have you tried restarting the router and not the modem or visa versa to see if which one fixes the problem.?

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117199

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice