1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Netgear RP614 Router Throttling Bandwidth?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by s31, Jan 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. s31

s31 Thread Starter

I recently decided to install a router between my computer and the Telus-DSL-supplied Actiontec V1000H router to plan for an additional computer. The Actiontec replaced the old router today, which resolved some connectivity issues.

When I connected my computer directly to the Actiontec router and ran the tests at Speedtest and Speakeasy, the tests reported (correctly) 24-25Mbps download. When I added the RP614 router (v4.15 firmware) between my computer and the Actiontec router, the download rates reported by each site dropped to around 5Mbps. (That's megabits per second - not megaBytes.) No programs other than Firefox were utilising bandwidth at the time of the tests, and only the one computer was connected. Multiple tests produced the same results under either condition. The cable between the RP614 and computer is CAT6.

I have also deactivated wireless operations across the board. Everything is wired here.

SysInfo provides the following data:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+, x86 Family 15 Model 79 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 3455 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6100, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 305234 MB, Free - 217330 MB; D: Total - 239366 MB, Free - 3446 MB; E: Total - 476937 MB, Free - 10858 MB; F: Total - 1907726 MB, Free - 68447 MB; T: Total - 204799 MB, Free - 22579 MB;
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., GA-M51GM-S2G
    Antivirus: AVG Anti-Virus Free, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Disabled

An hour or two spent conducting Web searches provided no applicable information to get things running at the desired throughput of 25Mbps. Any ideas as to what I'd need to change to get the speed up with the Netgear router connected? Are there any additional data I should provide to assist with the troubleshooting process?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Are you daisy chaining the routers (connecting the Actiontec to the Netgear's WAN port) or using the Netgear just as an ethernet switch? If the former, are the routers using different LAN subnets?

Both routers default to LAN 192.168.0.x. Usually when daisy chained routers use the same subnet you get no internet access, but it is possible to get unreliable access. If you have this situation I suggest changing one router to use something else; e.g., 192.168.3.x.

3. s31

s31 Thread Starter

I've got the Actiontec connected up to the Telus jack, and the Netgear wired into that. "Daisy chained", as it were. I've copied and pasted the results as follows:

Using Netgear as daisy in chain:

Ethernet: RP614 192.168.1.66 10Mbps
    Ethernet: Unknown 192.168.1.65 100Mbps (to the digital cable box)

No Netgear in chain - computer wired directly to Actiontec:

Ethernet: Unknown 192.168.1.65 100Mbps (to the digital cable box)
    Ethernet: mycomputer 192.168.1.67 1000Mbps

When the Netgear RP614 is connected, it shows my computer's IP as 192.168.0.3. Also, the Netgear Router Status page reports the following:

Internet Port
    IP Address: 192.168.1.66
    DHCP: Client
    IP Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Domain Name Server: 192.168.1.254, 75.153.176.9

LAN Port
    IP Address: 192.168.0.1
    DHCP: Server

Additional: The Netgear has DHCP enabled. Should I somehow turn this off to turn it into a switch, and would that resolve any speed issues I'm experiencing?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I have a router that is defective--throttles the speed from 15 Mbps down to ~2 Mbps when used as a router--but works fine as a switch and WAP. May work for you ...

JohnWill's procedure (Aug. 30, 2008) for configuring a secondary router as a switch and, optionally, wireless access point follows.

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together.

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. [You will not need a cross-over cable if one of the "routers" is a computer.] Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

For reference, here's a link to a Typical example config using a Netgear router

5. s31

s31 Thread Starter

I'm still dealing with a few other issues at the moment, so this will take a bit of time to get to. However, I want to confirm one part of this process:

Should I be connecting the primary router, which is the DSL modem, into a LAN connector on the secondary router instead of the Internet connector? I.e. by WAN connector this means Internet connector?

The secondary router configurator system complains if it's set to the same subnet when I disable DHCP, but I may not quite have a grasp of this yet. I still have yet to figure out what the DHCP range is. I can set up the secondary router with a reserved IP on the primary - would this be reasonable, and if so would I need to mess with the secondary's IP?

Also, how would I tell if a cable is a cross-over cable? I have some Cats here and if I can avoid buying a new cable I'd like to go that route.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Yes; a router WAN port is sometimes labeled "Modem" and sometimes "Internet."

If you don't want to use an IP outside the Dhcp server's address range you could reserve one, but you still need to set the secondary router's LAN to be that address.

If it is a commercial cable a cross-over cable will be labelled with "cross-over." :) If it is one you wired it will depend on how you wired it.

The Netgear has auto-sensing ports. The Actiontec probably does also, but I did not bother looking.

7. s31

s31 Thread Starter

Hi again. I've got some time to figure this out.

The Internet here is rated at 25Mbps (3000KB/sec) downstream and 2800kbps (350KB/sec) upstream. Having my computer wired directly to the Actiontec gets me those figures.

When I use my Netgear as a router, the downstream rate drops to 5000kbps (just under 620KB/sec), and upstream remains the same.

So we get into the steps it appears I need to take:

1) Configure the IP address of the secondary router to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but be out of range of the DHCP server in the primary router.

When I enter the "LAN IP Setup" area, I'm presented with the following form (click for the larger image with the router menu and version):

[​IMG]

When I punch 192.168.1.254 (having adopted the 192.168.1 subnet from the Actiontec defaults) into the "IP Address" field on the Netgear above, the message "The LAN IP Address cannot be on the same Subnet Mask as the Internet (WAN) IP Address" appears, and the previous page reloads a few seconds later with the original IP Address field values intact.

Also, I just noticed that 192.168.1.254 happens to be the HTTP stream for the Actiontec interface. So I have to try a different IP once I've figured out: A) how to determine where the DHCP settings are to see the allowed range, and B) whether making changes to these settings invalidates any warrantees (which is undesirable).

There's a DHCP Reservation screen allowing a MAC to be associated with a LAN IP - a permanent lease, however it has no list of allowable IPs.

2) Disable DHCP in secondary router.

Done this. I disabled the Netgear's DHCP server setting. The service is still the same (in terms of speed and stability), except that the Netgear no longer lists my computer as a device, but the Actiontec sees both my computer and Netgear (and the cable box) as devices.

3) Connect from primary router's LAN port to secondary router's LAN port, leaving the secondary router's WAN/Internet port free.

Tried this, and it's not transmitting as a result, presumably because the two routers aren't on the same subnet. So getting step 1 is probably the most necessary at this point.

The easiest option here would be to connect a cable directly from the Actiontec to the second computer, which will work in a pinch. But I'd like to have this subnet working out of sake of both convenience and less cabling. (And it would be admitting to defeat to not resolve this issue.)

Some additional configuration details in stunning image form:

The current status of the RP614:
    [​IMG]

Also the LAN status for the Actiontec (click to enlarge):

[​IMG]

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I think that you missed:

9. s31

s31 Thread Starter

Already got that part in my response:

and in my setup. Both the Actiontec and my computer are connected to LAN ports, and the WAN port is free.

So, here's the current status:

- Having both the Actiontec and Computer plugged into RP614 LAN ports, leaving the RP614 WAN port free, gives no access from Computer to either Actiontec or Web
    - With Computer into RP614 LAN port and Actiontec into RP614 WAN port, I get access to Actiontec and Web, but DL is only at 5.21Mbps instead of 25Mbps; UL is the desired 2.81Mbps
    - Computer wired directly to the Actiontec gives me the desired 25Mbps DL and 2.8Mbps UL.

From what I know now, the subnet mask is what I need to configure. Right now, LAN IP setup shows:

IP Address: 192.168.0.1
    RIP Direction: Both
    RIP Version: RIP-1

Using the tech login to the Actiontec (which I found on another page) just now, the "LAN IP Settings" page shows that addresses 192.168.1.64 to 192.168.1.253 are allocated for DHCP. So setting my Netgear with an IP of, say, 192.168.1.63 should do the trick.

Since I want the RP614's IP address to be 192.168.1.63 (out of range of the Actiontec DHCP IP range), and the Actiontec's DHCP range is from 192.168.1.64 to 192.168.1.253, I did some quick bitmaths and set the RP614 subnet mask to 255.255.255.192, but even with that and setting the IP to 192.168.1.63, the RP614 spit out the "The LAN IP Address cannot be on the same Subnet Mask as the Internet (WAN) IP Address" message. What am I missing?

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The Mask is 255.255.255.0. If the WAN is somehow retaining a dynamically assigned IP configuration even though it is disconnected then somehow clear it (assign a bogus IP if necessary). If it has a static IP 192.168.1.x then get rid of that.

11. s31

s31 Thread Starter

Yes, the subnet mask on the RP614 and Actiontec are "255.255.255.0". I modified the subnet mask on the RP614, but doing as such on the Actiontec requires the tech login and password - I have those, but making any changes that requires this login means I'll defer to Telus for reasons of warranty and what-not.

The rest of your response is leaving out bits of information. Which router should I make the changes to that you're suggesting? If what has a static IP of 192.168.1.x?

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Since the WAN of the secondary router (being configured as an ethernet switch and wireless access point) is not used it should have no IP address. I'm guessing that it does because of that error message ""The LAN IP Address cannot be on the same Subnet Mask as the Internet (WAN) IP Address." (I'm ignoring the word "Mask," which makes no sense.)

13. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    What's connected to Ethernet port 4?

14. s31

s31 Thread Starter

Port 4 is the Netgear RP614.

15. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    That may be your problem. You are running 10Mbps between the Netgear and the Actiontec. The Actiontec ports are 10/100/1000Mbps, the netgear is 10/100Mbps. You should be seeing 100Mbps so either device is not set correctly or you are using an incorrect or defective cable.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085278

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice