1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Netgear WGT624 Wireless Router & Verizon DSL

Discussion in 'Networking' started by VA-RX8, Sep 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VA-RX8

VA-RX8 Thread Starter

What does one do when Verizon says to contact the router manufacturer, and the router manufacturer says to contact the DSL provider?!

Before trying to setup my daughter's desktop computer (Windows XP Home and a Netgear WG311 wireless card) as a wireless connection to the WGT624 using Verizon DSL (she has a phone jack in one room, but wants to use the computer in another room), I contacted Netgear support to see if this was feasible.

No problem they said, but that in order to do the initial setup on the router I should be connected to the router. Not a problem either, since I simply connected my laptop to the router and had easy access to the router setup. Don't know what I did the other day, but did in fact have her connected; as long as the computer remained on, she was connected. However, she called the other night to say that upon booting up her computer, she had no connectivity (though the connection between her Netgear WG311 card and the WGT624 router was excellent, according to the icon in her taskbar tray).

The challenge is know WHAT bits of information in the WGT624 setup need to be completed, and WHAT the values should be. I am currently connected at home to Comcast broadband and have a wireless network working just fine. I suspect there may be a field or two that need information for the DSL to function properly that I didn't have to provide for the Comcast setup.

Anyone with experience setting up this kind of arrangement who can point to particular fields in the setup that may require input... e.g., "Does connection require login?" "Account Name?" "Account Password?" Thanks for any help you can provide.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!