1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Netgear wifi networking useing another wifi card

Discussion in 'Networking' started by nick_02, Oct 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nick_02

nick_02 Thread Starter

Ok here's my problem. I have a berklin wifi reciver on top of my house in a cantenna focusing at a satellite dish. It's pointed at my cousens house 3/4 th's a mile away. I have permission to use their internet and it's encrypted.
    But since the wifi reciver card hooks up to my computer usb. what I want to know is. How can I hook up my netgear 54mbps router up to my computer so I can brodcast a wifi signal in my house.
    The netgear router connects earthnet (dang spelling)
    I have a earthnet card in the back of my pc should I plug it in there and will it brodcast into my router?
    just wondering if this can be done. I am not relly experinced with networking.thx :)
    I know thare's another post similer but is there any adapters or anything?? :confused:

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you configure ICS for the Internet connection, you can connect a WAP or a router to create a local wireless network. Since routers are pretty cheap, I'd go that route. Since you already have a DHCP source, you'd connect the router like you already had one, here's the lashup.

Connecting two SOHO broadband routers together.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

3. Lightning

Lightning Guest

Do you have the permission of your cousin's ISP as well? I seriously doubt it. No ISP would allow two different homes to share one ISP connection. I didn't think TSG supported this type of behavior.

4. nick_02

nick_02 Thread Starter

Yes I do have permission to use my cousins isp. The isp doesnt like shareing and wont help you with router questions. But I asked the tech people I called If I could share a connection and they said it is ok as long as you dont download crap all the time. They told me if you go over a certain limit then they wont permit my networking and they would ban my privlages.

And why would TSG not support long range networking?
    It is baseicly the same as short range networking except you need specal equipmant to pick up a signal that far.
    I could Understand why you are concerned. Because any one could pick up a stray signal. But thats more reason to encrypt your wifi network.
    When I signed on my cousins network I had to put in the verry long encryption code to enter his network.

you have a right to be concerned because my school got wifi hacked because they had a open hotspot. My classmates and I lost all out reports and documents because some one hacked it.
    Our community is fighting back. Maricopa county is going to make a counter hacking group in the next month or so.

If this bothers tsg then they could delite my post but thanks for your feedback

5. Lightning

Lightning Guest

I've never heard of an ISP allowing one person to pay for a connection and then freely share it with another person in another house/apartment. If that's true, then that ISP must be really popular with apartment complexes in the area since only one person needs to pay for a connection and everyone else in the building can use it for free using wireless networking.

6. nick_02

nick_02 Thread Starter

Yes they can do that as long as they dont go over the bandwith limit.

7. JohnWill

I guess it would depend on the terms of service, though I suspect it's not going to be looked on favorably by the ISP in most cases. :rolleyes:

8. Lightning

Lightning Guest

What's the ISP?

9. nick_02

nick_02 Thread Starter

I think it is something like line link or link line

10. nick_02

nick_02 Thread Starter

I am just going to be useing it for another 2 days though then my stepdad says he is going to get cox cable internet.
    the modem coonects erthnet {hopefully} so I think i'll just run it with the cable connected to my locol router. (dang spelling)

11. JohnWill

ISP - Internet Service Provider

That's the company that provides your Internet access. :)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/289685

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice