1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Netgear Wireless G Adapter to Linksys Wireless B Router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by rne783, Dec 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rne783

rne783 Thread Starter

Hello friends!

I'm having a bit of trouble tonight trying to connect to my wireless router. Here are the specifics-

Router: Linksys Wireless B
    Wireless Adapter: Netgear Wireless G

I used the Netgear installation disc and ran the setup wizard. I was able to connect easily initially, and firefox opened to my google homepage. I tried a simple google search and it went offline. The taskbar icon shows "connections available" and when opened and prompted to connect to the found network, it was "unable to connect". I opened the Netgear set up wizard and it just keeps scanning the channels and never connects. Any suggestions??

Thanks!

2. PedroHin

PedroHin

Yes, I have a suggestion. The fix is a bit convoluted, but it WILL work.
    find the folder where the Netgear installed its software ( C:\Program Files\Netgear\ or C:\Program Files(x86)\Netgear\ ). Under this folder you will find a drivers folder. Copy this folder to your Windows Desktop.

Now uninstall the Netgear software. Reboot the PC. When Windows asks for the drivers, point to the drivers folder on your desktop. Now you can use MS-Windows' wireless network management. It is far better than Netgear's

Of course, this is just a suggestion. If anyone has a better suggestion, please post it. Whenever I have bad luck using Netgear's and even Linksys' older wireless network manager, I have resorted to using Windows' built-in capability with success -- more often than not.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I agree; with Windows 7 (or Vista) I suggest to just use Window's wireless utility, and then try Netgear's if there is a problem or a feature you like about Netgear.

If PeterHin's advice does not help make sure you have the latest firmware for the router; then reset it to factory default settings and reconfigure it.

If still having a problem try w/o encryption until you can purchase a new router.l

4. rne783

rne783 Thread Starter

thank you both!

i will try the copy and uninstall suggestion first and see what happens and let you know.

5. rne783

rne783 Thread Starter

Okay- I did what you suggested- I found a folder Win2kWG111v3 and inside that is WG111v3.dll (I think that is the driver right?) And I copied the folder to desktop, uninstalled Netgear software and rebooted pc. I plugged in the Netgear usb adapter and a window appears that the drivers are not found. The only option it gives me is to look for updates or to close the window. I tried to look for anything along the lines of "windows wireless network management" but can't find anything. Can u give me any other tips on how to get the driver folder to be used like u said? Also- when I insert the usb adapter now nothing pops up telling me to find driver.

6. PedroHin

PedroHin

No, that's not the driver. You'll likely have to reinstall the software again, and then look for the same folder. There will be a folder under there that has files named WG111v3.CAT WG111v3.inf WG111v3.DRV, etc...

Also!...

I just downloaded the installer from ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/WG111v3_v2.0.0_Setup.exe .
    I noticed that when you run the installer from there, it allows you to pick 'Custom' install. After that, you are offered the option of using 'Smart Wizard' or 'Windows Utility' (pick the latter).

7. rne783

rne783 Thread Starter

alrighty... so I followed your steps- I reinstalled the software for netgear using the installation cd- that also has an option to use Windows Utility, and I chose that. However, after reinstalling the software, I went into programfiles/netgear and the only folders there are the one that I listed before, and another one titled OEM. There are only icons in that folder (logo, etc) and the other one still only had that one .dll file that I mentioned before. I looked through all of the Netgear file folders and no where is there anything with a .cat .inf .drv. There are .wav files and .dll files and .tmp and .txt files. soooo... I decided to just try it again and I followed the set up steps again, attached the usb adapter and waited while it scanned channels- then it found and connected to the channel that the router is using and since then I have been connected! Maybe I just needed to uninstall and reinstall the software? I have no idea. These things confuse me.

Well for now I suppose I shouldn't mess with a good thing- and just leave it be while I am connected. If I have any more problems I will see if I can get back to the whole drivers method.

One more thing that I noticed- when I reboot, I get an error message that says a program (QBpro, I think) couldn't be opened because "msjava.dll" could not be found. Do I need this and if so, where can I download it safely? I tried opening Quickbooks and it opens just fine and all my data is still there.

Thanks!

Computer is 2 days old and yesterday I installed my Quickbooks Pro 2002 and transferred the backups from my old pc. Could this be the issue?

8. PedroHin

PedroHin

I guess that is an older version of Quickbooks? I think MSJAVA is part of older versions of Windows when Microsoft had their own version of Java.

I found this article from 2007 http://community.intuit.com/posts/error-message-msjavadll-not-found

EDIT: oops, I see that you said QB 2002, so yes, it is older. I think the article will still be useful

9. rne783

rne783 Thread Starter

thank you- that was very helpful. i took QB off of startup like it says. Thanks so much for all of your help! :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970788

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice