1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Netgear Wireless Problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by fyrehawk, Apr 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fyrehawk

fyrehawk Thread Starter

I am trying to set up a wireless internet connection, and for the life of me I am feeling REALLY dumb!

The Hardware:
    Netgear FR114P Router, ISP-Static IP, LAN-DHCP Enabled
    Netgear 8 port Switch
    (5) Netgear WG601 Access Points (All set to same SSID/Freq./Encryption Key)

The Problem:
    No DHCP for wireless clients!
    When I plug a laptop into the switch, I get DHCP and can connect to the internet w/o any problems. When I unplug (also tried restarting) and go wireless: No DHCP, No Internet, default M$ IP Address, but good connection to access point(s).

Am I really as dumb as I feel or is there some unknown trick to getting Netgear Access Points to Pass DHCP Information to clients?

Thank you

2. Rockn

Rockn

Are the WAP's getting IP addresses? Can you access their configuration menus? Why not jsut get a wireless router and NIC's?

3. coulterp

coulterp

Do you mean WG602 as I could not find a WG601 on the Netgear site?

Am I reading this right? You have 5 x WG601 APs ???
    Surely you only need the one?

What wireless cards as in the laptops?

Can you access the APs by IP address (Default: 192.168.0.227)?

4. fyrehawk

fyrehawk Thread Starter

Rockn Wrote:
    Are the WAP's getting IP addresses? Can you access their configuration menus? Why not jsut get a wireless router and NIC's?

The WAP's are configured with static IP addresses (192.168.0.201, 202, 203, 204, 205). Yes I can access the Config Menu's, that is how they are all set to the same (not default) configuration. A single Wireless router will not cover the area needed.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    coulterp Wrote:
    Do you mean WG602 as I could not find a WG601 on the Netgear site?
    Am I reading this right? You have 5 x WG601 APs ???
    Surely you only need the one?
    What wireless cards as in the laptops?
    Can you access the APs by IP address (Default: 192.168.0.227)?

Yes, Sorry I did mean the WG602.
    Yes, there are 5 AP's.
    Actually My coverage is a little spotty, and for the area I probably need 2 more AP's (I/We are setting up free wireless internet access for guests in our hotel. Special note on "Free": Translation = I have almost NO budget to do this with. I have about 8years networking experience, but 802.11x is a new area for me.)
    No problems accessing the AP's from ethernet.
    Wireless cards are: netgear 802.11b; Linksys 802.11g; and centrino built-in (Tested all three for consistency)

As previously stated: I can see and connect to the AP's, the problem is that the AP's are not passing on DHCP info from the Router to the attached client(s). (Sudden thought: Would the AP's need to be set up to USE the DHCP in order to pass it on to clients? Must try this...)

Thanks again for helping out! I'll keep the thread updated...

5. coulterp

coulterp

In response to the question. Yes. Page 10 of the WG602 User Guide "DHCP Client: The access point will get the IP address, subnet mask and the default gateway automatically from the DHCP server if the DHCP is enabled. Default: Enable"

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/216869

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice