1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Netgear wireless problems

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jrtidal, Feb 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jrtidal

jrtidal Thread Starter

I have a Dell Inspirion 5100 with a Dell Truemobile 1400 Dual Band WLAN Mini PCI card running Windows XP. I am having connecting to my Netgear Wireless MR814v2 router. Anyone have any suggestions?

thanks!

2. coulterp

coulterp

Yes.
    Provide a lot more configuration details about your set up and what you've tried and then hopefully folks might be able offer a few suggestions about what to try. :)

3. jrtidal

jrtidal Thread Starter

Sure, well the Dell laptop is running a P4 2.66 Ghz processor with 256mb of RAM. As far as the network configuration, it's an open ad-hoc network. There isn't an encryption key to access it. The router is about 40 ft. away from the laptop on the same floor, but there are a few walls in between. THe computer can recognizes the network, but it just can't join it. There are also two other computers acessing the network from just as far. One is a mac running OS X and the other is a windows 98 box. Also, there are two other windows 98 boxes directly connected to the router.

The laptop is the only one running XP.

4. squidboy

squidboy

Elaborate on this please.

Do you get an IP address? Can you access the internet? What is it trying to 'join'...a domain/workgroup/etc?

What do you mean by "recognizes the network"? That is somewhat vague from a troubleshooting standpoint.

5. jrtidal

jrtidal Thread Starter

The other computers using the router can access the Internet, but the laptop does not.

As far as recognizing the network, when I click on the available networks icon in the toolbar, it brings a list of networks available. The first selection it displays is the network I'm trying to connect to. When I try and connect to it, it brings up a window saying it is connecting to the network. After 30 minutes, nothing happens.

6. coulterp

coulterp

Do you really mean what ad-hoc means when you say "open ad-hoc network". Ad-hoc is for point-to-point not via a router connection. I suspect you don't when you describe other PCs as connecting through the router (although it is not entirely clear if these PCs are wireless connected or if you use wired connections to PCs).

If you are using a router you need to be using "infrastructure" mode.

WEP is off on everything (router and cards)? Are all the devices compatiable in terms of protocols (b or g) being used?

It may boil down to incompatiable hardware if you have got other PCs onto the router over wireless and variables like WEP and protocol are uniformly selected across all your devices.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329017

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice