1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Netgear Wireless Router and Westell Modem + Router = Routed Bridge failure

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ditoh1, Jun 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ditoh1

ditoh1 Thread Starter

So here is my case:

SETUP:

Verizon's Westell 6100:
    Modem/Router, provides 1 incoming address (provided by VZ) and provides 1 internal address (192.168.1.1).

Netgear Wireless Router WGT624 v4:
    Wireless Router, accepts 192.168.1.1 and provides 10.0.0.X wired and wirelessly.

Problem:
    Although Verizon's Router indicates that it is on Bridge mode, the damn thing isnt. I thought the main concept of bridging was to become practically invisible and automatically reroute all traffic to the next device, which is what I want.
    I want to ultimately use the Netgear device to set all my rules and settings, instead, I have to do it on both.
    For instance, Xbox Live is not working 100% properly. I can only play video games without being able to join specific games, or perform any in-game video/voice chat.

I have tried NATing the device. No luck.
    I have also tried setting the Netgear device as a Wireless Base Station. Either way, I just would like to have my network ignore 1 device, and have the second one invisibly reroute all the access.

Is that possible? Could you please help?

Thanks to all!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

3. ditoh1

ditoh1 Thread Starter

Thank you for taking your time to help out.
    I followed the instructions to the letter, but the router still provides a local 192.168.x.x IP address (which is now not DHCP). I am doing a simple test, I have dyndns account (since I wanted to have dyndns access to my home connection) and have set it up on my Netgear device, the device is still getting a 192.168.1.x address. I thought bridging the connection would automatically give me the ISP's address?

I feel that we still are under that "bridge mode" but not getting an IP address as we did we before, I had to statically assign an IP to my router, otherwise I wouldnt get online.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I don't have that router, but the other way to deal with this is to configure the 6100 for DMZ and put your secondary router's WAN connection in the DMZ. This will accomplish the same thing and all the controls will then be done from the secondary machine.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/927868

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice